Driver Shortage (supposedly)

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by jon69, Oct 15, 2020.

1. 201

201 Road Train Member

Apr 16, 2014
    high plains colorado
    Perhaps, but were we any different?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. mustang190

mustang190 Road Train Member

Jan 18, 2011
    Florida Panhandle
    Yes there is a shortage of truck drivers.
    But, a over abundance of steering wheel holders.
    And that’s what a lot of companies want.

4. bryan21384

bryan21384 Road Train Member

Sep 18, 2009
    Memphis, TN
    Why don't I hit some of your points here..driver shortage is a fairly frequent topic here.....is there a driver shortage? It depends on who you ask. Big companies with customers, they'll probably say yes. Small fleets or owner operators that are solely reliant on the spot market will say it's a shortage of good paying loads. Brokers during a boom may say yes. Driver abuse? No such thing. All companies are pretty much the same, they're a business. They don't care about a driver's personal feelings necessarily. I don't really understand why yu are mentioning immigrants for going into this profession, because it's a lot of home grown people going into trucking as well. As for what changes after the election, absolutely nothing. I never understand why folks feel like their lives are going to change after elections. If you're trucker now, you will be afterwards, unless you quit.....it kind of reminds if the first weekend of the NFL season....every fan thinks this is the year their team wins the super bowl.....then reality hits once the enthusiasm wears off.

dwells40 and mladen86 Thank this.
  5. bryan21384

Sep 18, 2009
    Memphis, TN
    Then that's a parking shortage

JNM90 Thanks this.
  6. bryan21384

Sep 18, 2009
    Memphis, TN
    What you talking about man? I don't know why people say that folks make less than us truckers. Many experienced truckers take home 1000 or better weekly. How many 40 hr per week jobs pay that? Not many. Many of us don't have the education or skill level to do anything else. There are many Americans working 2 jobs and don't make 1000 weekly. That's one of the reasons people get in trucking. We drive, and it's not bad money for driving. Now if you use up 14 hrs per day, and you're experienced, you better be grossing at least 1500. Otherwise, youre doing it wrong.

kylefitzy, 201, mitrucker and 2 others Thank this.
  7. 86scotty

86scotty Road Train Member

Aug 27, 2017
    Appalachia
    I don't see a shortage. Every truck I see has a driver in it......or at least somethingthat looks like a driver.

8. D.Tibbitt

D.Tibbitt Road Train Member

Apr 26, 2013
    Gettin' down westbound
    Ding ding ding we have a winner !!! Yep the driver shortage is only a narrative the ata promotes , who are getting paid millions by the mega companies to promote this narrative... all because thats the business model of the megas is they need fresh meat inthe seat every monday morning , because thats how they make money.... Dont ever believe anything u hear out of the ata's mouth because it is coming straight from the megas , who make whatever narrative they wanna make , to make the general public and news organizations believe something that isnt necesarrily true

9. snowwy

snowwy Road Train Member

Jul 6, 2009
    Parking shortage has always been a problem.

Driver shortage. I don't think so when there's 1000's waiting to go somewhere on any given day. For years.

Lite bug Thanks this.
  10. bryan21384

Sep 18, 2009
    Memphis, TN
    Parking shortage is only problem if the driver is one dimensional in terms of where to park. So many only want to park at truck stops, or the chain truck stops. I'll pretty much park anywhere that looks quiet and peaceful.

cjb logistics Thanks this.
  11. cluemaster

cluemaster Bobtail Member

May 6, 2016
    It is always shortage of good professional driver... I recently talked with the guy for my second truck and we couldn't come to agreement since truck color was red, and he doesn't drive red trucks. o_Oo_Oo_O

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.