Driver Shortage?

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by buzzarddriver, Aug 2, 2021.

1. TripleSix

TripleSix God of Roads

Apr 10, 2009
    Copied in Hell
    All they have to do is remove the drug testing, and burnouts will run to trucking in droves.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. TripleSix

TripleSix God of Roads

Apr 10, 2009
    Copied in Hell
    They should only worry about intoxication of any sort only after a DOT accident.

bryan21384 and Buddy Stinson Thank this.
  4. roundhouse

roundhouse Road Train Member

Jul 11, 2018
    I’m
    Saying that it’s all Caused by the companies treating the drivers like dog poop stuck to their shoe, and not paying them .

Some Companies don’t have a driver shortage , because their guys get paid by the hour including OT from when they leave until they get back, if they are on duty .

if you expect me to be gone for weeks at a time , live in a truck , and not get paid a nickel for any of the time I’m “on duty not driving “ then I ain’t working for
    Your company.

where I’m at now I drive a 3/4 ton pickup , and I get paid $29 hr with vacation and subsidized health insurance, from
    When I crank the truck until I park it back
    At home or at motel for the night , and the company pays $120 for the motel
    And $45 for food if I’m not sleeping at My house .

And I get paid time and a half if I work over 40 ,which I never do unless it’s
    An emergency response .

if you want me To drive a big truck and put up with all The BS and constant never ending lies from dispatch , and all the sitting around at shippers and receivers , then you gotta get out the checkbook and give me a reason to do it . and 45 cents a mile and no overtime and a very rare pittance for detention time just ain’t gonna do it for me .

Some people might be willing to work for that but I have other actual marketable skills besides holding a steering wheel.

my nephew is a driver and he’s doing pretty good , averaging 90 cents a mile, driving a brand new W900 that he got to go to the stealership And pick The color of, and is very happy where he’s driving at.

But he also is a certified welder and has a EPA 608 cert and can work on HVAC systems.

if the trucking companies Dick him around and he doesn’t feel like he’s being fairly compensated for his time , he’s gonna take his skills and work ethic somewhere else.

Toomanybikes and bentstrider83 Thank this.
  5. TripleSix

TripleSix God of Roads

Apr 10, 2009
    Copied in Hell
    Right. No drug testing, no alcohol testing, no DUI/DWI. As long as you don’t have a DOT accident and ruled at fault, you do you. Simple enough. Have a big ol wreck? Be prepared to pay the piper. Kill someone, face a roadside execution.

6. mustang190

mustang190 Road Train Member

Jan 18, 2011
    Florida Panhandle
    Just one problem with your scenario, those gigs are few and far between.
    No one is going to use a pickup truck to haul a load of produce from Watsonville Ca to Hunts Point NY. and get a load back!
    It all depends on the company or the owner on how they pay and treat their drivers. If a driver wants to stay with a lousy paying job and be treated like garbage, that’s up to him.
    If you noticed, the good outfits never advertise for drivers. There’s a reason for it.

7. kemosabi49

kemosabi49 Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Jan 13, 2013
    SW Arkansas
    Why not? I don't think that Canada had a drug testing program like we do.

8. tscottme

tscottme Road Train Member

The Great Replacement provides votes for the Dems and profits for the Repugs

Midwest Trucker Thanks this.
  9. '88K100

'88K100 Road Train Member

Aug 23, 2020
    We dont have drug testing and since marijuana is federally legal as is alcohol they are treated the same. Report for work fit for duty and remain so while on duty. Pretty simple solution, Works for us.

Last edited: Aug 4, 2021
    Slim51 Thanks this.
  10. Dave_in_AZ

Dave_in_AZ Road Train Member

May 4, 2015
    I see plenty of drivers that are like 5'7" or less.

11. Magoo1968

Magoo1968 Road Train Member

Mar 18, 2021
    St Malo mb
    That went over a few heads lol

bentstrider83 and Dave_in_AZ Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.