Driver sideswiped my stepdeck now what?

Discussion in 'Flatbed Trucking Forum' started by BAYOU, May 16, 2012.

1. BAYOU

BAYOU Road Train Member

Sep 23, 2010
    Beaumont,Tx
    whats that going to do just cost me more money lawyers cost money and don't work for free so what more is there to say I have it insured for $14,k I didn't know price on trailers have gone up haven't been looking and in the same note how many trailers have you totaled or known have totaled one trust me I didn't really think this would happen

RickG Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. MNdriver

MNdriver Road Train Member

Feb 24, 2012
    It's why all of my insurance is for replacement value.

I don't understand why it's "personal property".

4. skateboardman

skateboardman Road Train Member

Jan 14, 2012
    flatbed heaven
    in this case the ins. co would be fighting against itself, being on private property has nothing to do with the damage, that is a smokescreen to settle the claim.

you dont have to accept the settlement have your ins co.( progressive) tell his ins co(progressive) you dont accept and they have to use their lawyer to get you satisfied.

when you have ins. you dont have to hire a lawyer yourself, the ins. company provides the lawyer, in this with progressive insuring both, they are trying to bull crap you( the private property deal) and get you to settle for less.

perhaps getting your ins agent in on the deal will help also.

as mn driver said the extra you pay for replacement ins is well worth it, most people dont realize that even with house ins, unless its replacement ins., the damaged items will be pro-rated on their age.

like a roof for example, if their were 30 year shingles on the roof and they are 20 years old, they will deduct 20 years of use from the shingles.

MNdriver and SHC Thank this.
  5. BAYOU

BAYOU Road Train Member

Sep 23, 2010
    Beaumont,Tx
    Progressive Does not have replacement coverage they go off a stated amount my guy said today I can insure it for what ever I want $100,k what ever but that don't mean Im going to get it the more I insure my stuff the more I pay nomatter what

6. skateboardman

skateboardman Road Train Member

Jan 14, 2012
    flatbed heaven
    yep, more coverage equals more premium. you have to insure for value not what ya paid for it unless you are willing to take the hit. i had progressive insurance for many years.

they will bull crap you, they are paying your claim as if you did the damage, not the other guy. they are doing it that way because it will cost them less. it is up to you whether you accept that or not.

it might be wise to place a call to your state ins. commissioner. they do this because most folks dont fight them and need a check to keep operating. you dont have to accept that offer.

7. stranger

stranger Road Train Member

Oct 10, 2006
    NC
    Private property means nothing. You are claiming on the other guys policy, because he hit you. They are obligated to pay whatever it cost to repair or replace your trailer, charged against HIS policy, not yours. They are trying to get out cheap, and make a claim on your policy, because they will only have to pay out 13k off of yours.

I had a guy take off my hood while I was backed into a dock about 10 years ago. Private property, no police involved. I got pictures of his truck sitting on top of mine, the damage after he backed off, his truck, his tag, name on door, his license, and his picture. I even called his company and filed before we left. I was paid for all repairs and all down time, no questions asked. I had to negoitate the down time up a bit, but was satisfied with the amount paid.

They are trying to shaft you. You don't need a lawyer, just threaten to call the insurance comissioner in the state his insurance is in.

Last edited: May 31, 2012
    MNdriver Thanks this.
  8. BAYOU

BAYOU Road Train Member

Sep 23, 2010
    Beaumont,Tx
    I did get a police report but it don't say who is at falt and said they don't have to because it being on private propety the report has both driver statements and two witnesses so that driver said it's my falt I said it's his and sounds the same from the two who seen it so to put it easy it's "HE SAID SHE SAID"

9. TEXAS TRUCKER

TEXAS TRUCKER Bobtail Member

Dec 10, 2008
    huntsville tx
    Don Van orden in Montgomery, Texas has some decent trailers for sale

10. BAYOU

BAYOU Road Train Member

Sep 23, 2010
    Beaumont,Tx
    I have a trailer now got one from arrow $3,600 down and I'm back rolling

MNdriver Thanks this.
  11. SHC

SHC Spoiled Rotten Brat O/O

Feb 26, 2011
    Westville, IN
    I'm in your neck of the woods today. Picked up at Barbours Cut and there sure are a lot of non-English speaking folks dragging this around here. And don't get me started with the APL terminal LOL

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.