Driver Sleep Apnea

Discussion in 'Driver Health' started by Cybergal, Feb 5, 2006.

1. truckerdad57

truckerdad57 Light Load Member

Nov 29, 2008
    Batavia, IL
    There is a lot of information about sleep apnea.. dealing with your CPAP.. powering your CPAP in the truck.. whether or not you need to use heat/humidification etc.

For more informaiton about sleep apnea you can check the American Sleep Apnea Association web site. they have forums like this but all about sleep apnea.

just remember the answers may not deal with the additional problems we truckers with sleep apnea face.

Last edited: Jul 2, 2009
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. stage0

stage0 Bobtail Member

Jul 9, 2009
    you can google a search for "portable cpap machines" to find a wide variety of such machines.

4. LooneyTune

LooneyTune Just plain nuts

Sep 12, 2009
    Ottawa, Illinois
    I have a cpap machine and it has made a world of difference. I had two studies done, one without a machine and one with the machine. It was a shocking difference between the two studies. In the first study it took me nearly 160 minutes to truly fall asleep and I suffered about 21 apnea episodes per hour. In the second study with the cpap machine, it took 20 minutes to fall asleep and I average only 0.7 apnea episodes per hour. The only thing I didn't like was this sleep center made me take two studies and I have heard many drivers get all of this done in one night. In their cases they were able to determine the driver had sleep apnea and halfway thru put them on the machine. I guess my place does it differently, not sure, but it was a little aggravating to have to go thru two studies.

5. truckerdad57

Nov 29, 2008
    Batavia, IL
    Looney tune.. what you are talking about is a diagnostic versus a split study (all in one night) versus a titrating study..

There are specific medical parameters on when a split study can be done. Basically they only do the whole thing in one night when the patient has sleep apnea REALLY bad. and they can diagnose it right away.

What you got is actually better for you medically. Now they REALLY know you have sleep apnea.. and they have a whole night to make sure they are using the right pressure. Getting the pressure wrong causes a whole bunch of problems...

Stage0
    But.. are the portable battery machine data capable.

FMCSA requires a use compliance data capable machine to keep track of "time on pressure". CMV operators need to average 4 hours a night "on pressure" to be "under current and effective treatment". No current and effective treatment letter from your sleep doc.. no DOT medical card .. no data download from your CPAP no letter...

This thread shows some of the many complexities of dealing with sleep apnea as a commercial motor vehicle operator.

6. LooneyTune

LooneyTune Just plain nuts

Sep 12, 2009
    Ottawa, Illinois
    Thanks for posting that, now I understand why they did two studies on me. Makes sense now. Yes the DOT doctor told me minimum of 4 hours per night plus no less than 80 percent usage during the calendar year, which means yeah you can skip a few nights not using the machine but don't make a habit of it. My machine runs off an inverter and it has a downloadable data card. Already sent one printout to the DOT doctor, hence finally getting my physical extended out to a normal 2 year expiration.

7. 112racing

112racing Road Train Member

Nov 30, 2008
    pocono's, pa
    most of the new standard machines will work off 12 volts (lighter plug) and have the data card readers

most of the heated humidifers will not work off 12 volt however

you can get a "passover" humidifier that requires no electricity however but they are not heated

8. truckerdad57

Nov 29, 2008
    Batavia, IL
    You need to check the FMCSA medical guidelines at

http://www.fmcsa.dot.gov/rules-regulations/TOPICS/mep/report/Sleep-MEP-Panel-Recommendations-508.pdf

Surgery is not considered "effective treatment" by FMCSA as it does not work about half the time. Also the sleep doctors can not tell if it's effective. Last with most people the soft tissues they remove to cure sleep apnea grow back over time...

Many doctors DO NOT reccomend surgery unless there are MAJOR issues with not being able to use a CPAP.

Dental Devices. same thing.... sleep doctors can not tell if you are using it or if it's effective.

CPAP with both compliance and efficacy data recording is the way to go. The newer CPAP can tell your sleep doc both when you are using the CPAP and if it's properly controlling your sleep apnea. Also - CPAP data is medically confidential so other than confirming to DOT that you are "under current and effective treatment" it;s all private.

check out.. http://www.awake.truckersforacause.com

It;s a driver support group for truck drivers with sleep apnea..

truck drivers helping other truck drivers if you have more questions.
    Bob

9. truckerdad57

Nov 29, 2008
    Batavia, IL
    You GOT LUCKY.. the new guidelines are for only one year cards for sleep apnea patients.

The guidlienes are for annual reviews of CPAP compliance data just like if you are on blood pressue medications - one year cards only.

One of the issues is the many of the DOT medical examiners don't know the guidelines. This will change when the FMCSA implements the National Registry of Certified Medical Examiners.

Soon the DOT medical examiner will have to pass a test and keep certified to give DOT physicals. The FMCSA is currently writing the tests and training for the medical examiners.

The days of the $ 50.00 everyone passes DOT physical at the truck stop will soon be over. Bet the price for a DOT physical will go up too....

10. azdiamon

azdiamon Bobtail Member

Jan 24, 2011
    Does anyone use BiPAP? I got better results with that

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.