Driver tells FMCSA he doesn't follow their rules

Discussion in 'Truckers News' started by Tb0n3, Sep 19, 2019.

1. Tb0n3

Tb0n3 Road Train Member

Oct 5, 2012
    Earth
    It's the punishment keeping some from it and making an example out of others. In other words, enforcement.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Cattleman84

Cattleman84 Road Train Member

Nov 1, 2017
    The Sticks, Idaho
    Wish to hell more people would speak up like this gentleman did... He speaks the truth.

Last edited: Sep 19, 2019
  4. Brandt

Brandt Road Train Member

Sep 17, 2012
    Drivers can stop and sleep if tired today. The ELD shows you need more time to do the run if legally. Paperwork log guys like him want to keep going anytime he feels like it. Who wants to be on call for work 24/7 ? Not me, mine time have value and it's not unlimited. If they can't load the truck on time then they need to learn the load might be late. Drivers and company and O/O might need to charge more for the load if it needs more time to finish the load running legal. I don't understand why people want give their time away for free and less pay. How about we charge more detention pay. So you make money when you up and have working hours available. Then you can park at the end of a 14 hour day and actually still make money. Some people want to sit for free then drive and sleep and drive like the old 5 on 5 off days and work 24/7 days. Not me, load my truck and get me rolling because my time have value and it's not unlimited and it's a not free. They just have to pay more if they want hold me up because I'm still getting a regular night's sleep. They should not call for a truck if they can't load it. In reasonable time.

5. Rubber duck kw

Rubber duck kw Road Train Member

Dec 9, 2017
    All the ELD shows is what we already knew, most people didn't give a #### about HOS to begin with and drove perfectly safely. I run paper logs, on the days I can be bothered to fill one out at least. Some of us like working a good 18 hour day that you're actually tired at the end of.

Badmon, jamespmack and Intothesunset Thank this.
  6. Cattleman84

Cattleman84 Road Train Member

Nov 1, 2017
    The Sticks, Idaho
    Its not that we cant stop for a nap... Its the fact that if you do stop for a nap it can dig really deeply into the amount of time you have to make money.

Or lwts say you start your day, drive 2 hours to arrive 10 mins before your appointment. Then the shipper/reciever takes 5 hours to finally get you back on the road, that means you just lost at least 2 hours of drive time for the day... 2 hours that you could have been making money. And dont give me the detention time pay line... Who pays $23 an hour to the driver for detention??? Cause thats about what I average for every hour my wheels are turning.

7. Intothesunset

Intothesunset Road Train Member

Apr 15, 2019
    truck
    Though that Landis fella spoke the truth does not make it right to the stupid people in the beuracracy.
    Now I imagine they will put our feet in the fire and screw all drivers that like to work and not twittle our thumbs at the truck stop driver room.
    Really he should have said nothing.
    If you don't like eld run old trucks it's in black and white. Will this rule change who knows? I will say the 395.1a rule sure has helped at the end of the day. Because I do not feel like parking where there is no toilet near me. And if I was ever using PC to find parking and crossed a scale house that told me I could park there, I would say no thanks I'm going to keep going where I have access to a toilet at 4am when I need it.
    But paper I never use PC rule so that is my thoughts.

8. Brandt

Brandt Road Train Member

Sep 17, 2012
    The hard work would be getting them to pay your detention pay of $23 per hour. So why not do that vs sitting for free then saying we can't make any money and need to work more hours ? Why do you want to give away your time for free. Why not do the hard work and actually improve the job. If you want give your time away for free. That's ok but you should not be able cheat the system and then try to drive more hours to makeup for your choice. That's what good about the 14 and 70 hour limits.

Tb0n3 Thanks this.
  9. Intothesunset

Apr 15, 2019
    truck
    You will never see driver detention nation wide being paid at $20 ish per hour. The government does not control how the shippers/receivers treat or pay drivers. The government works for the fortune 500 companies.

10. Brandt

Brandt Road Train Member

Sep 17, 2012
    The problem is some people get tired and get in traffic accident and kill people because they just want to keep working more hours. People don't always make the best choice.

Tb0n3 Thanks this.
  11. Intothesunset

Apr 15, 2019
    truck
    The problem is a computerized count down timer does not help anybody that needs rest. And stresses out drivers that are needing sleeper time. And being told to run out your hours, or rushing for daily home time ltl jobs is not always smart.

Badmon and jamespmack Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.