Driver TO Dispatch?

Discussion in 'Trucking Industry Regulations' started by AdamBarnhart, Apr 14, 2010.

Log it or Not

1. Yes Log it

65.0%
  2. *

No Dont Log it

35.0%
  1. Big Don

Big Don "Old Fart"

Sep 8, 2007
    Utah's DIXIE!
    This is correct if commercial driving is a part of your job. And perhaps as a dispatch, I suppose he could be sent out on occasion to do a local pick or drop. That may be where they are coming from. But that certainly is not what his post sounds like.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. AdamBarnhart

AdamBarnhart Light Load Member

Mar 21, 2010
    Bakersfield, California
    I don't think so, the logging is to be done for operation or safety sensitive job around commercial vehicle.

if you work in the office and never touch a commercial vehicle (truck) then you don't have to log.

as i said i dont touch a commercial vehicle at all i dispatch and drive me on CAR 4 wheeler home

4. wsyrob

wsyrob Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Sep 14, 2007
    Winston Salem
    Are you paid hourly and punch a time clock or are you paid a salary exempt from overtime rules. If you are an exempt employee they cannot require you to log hours or punch a time clock. If you are classified nonexempt hourly they must pay you overtime past 40 hours a week per labor laws. The company may be keeping you classified as a driver to avoid overtime pay.

5. AdamBarnhart

AdamBarnhart Light Load Member

Mar 21, 2010
    Bakersfield, California
    no i'm salary but with overtime its not hour base but day base if i come in i get the whole day even if a stay only 15 min. but if i work 14 hours i still only get paid for my normal 12 hours.

6. Sly Fox

Sly Fox Road Train Member

Oct 29, 2009
    They're probably counting you as a driver for technical reasons. I'm sure you'll get more than your fair share of urine tests, etc since you'll always be in the office

7. phroziac

phroziac Road Train Member

Jun 16, 2009
    Gary, IN
    They get paid for all work performed. And unless they're overnights, they dont work 16 hours a day. And I sure would like to take the fleet assignments girl out to dinner sometime.....

8. BIG RIGGER

BIG RIGGER Road Train Member

Feb 25, 2010
    Fargo,ND.
    Don't tell us tell her you might get lucky. If you don't seem desperate.:biggrin_25512:

9. wsyrob

wsyrob Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Sep 14, 2007
    Winston Salem
    That sounds like the definition of an Exempt employee. Some of the tests to determine that classification are things like supervising a certain number of people, and not having a set schedule. You basically have a job to do and can do it any way you see fit. You are paid X amount whether you work 20 hours a week or120. I believe if an employee is classified as Exempt the company is not allowed to force them to punch a time clock. Filling out a log and turning it in could be considered the same as punching a time clock.

10. phroziac

phroziac Road Train Member

Jun 16, 2009
    Gary, IN
    I don't really go to omaha much. But last time i saw her, I thought about askin her "Hey, will you get me a new truck if i take you out to dinner?" haha. But I suspect she's married.

11. Mike_MD

Mike_MD Medium Load Member

Feb 4, 2009
    O-Zone
    Technically you cannot make a log indicating off-duty for the month. That would be a false log.

A couple years ago I was working a scale and an office manager came into Illinois to get some chairs, tables, etc. for a big party for the carrier. Looking at his log it indicated off-duty for the seven previous days. I asked the driver what he did all week; "I manage operations." :biggrin_2551:

The driver was let off with a warning he was on-duty not driving for the first four days of the week. :biggrin_2552:

Be safe.

JustSonny Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.