Driver Trainer thoughts on trainee with bladder and CPAP issues?

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by Von Shep, Jul 7, 2021.

1. Von Shep

Von Shep Bobtail Member

Jul 2, 2021
    Thank you. I'm still in recruitment phase. I had to push my DOT physical back a couple of weeks, because my back molar has a microfracture that went around and under the tooth hitting nerves causing an unbearable amount of pain. There's no way to fix it, so they have to pull it next week. I'm also seeing my doctor next week just to confirm my medications and write a confirmation that I am fit to drive. Also getting my CPAP compliance report from the sleep center too.

It's given me more time to get into better shape and lose weight. I was told I would be in flatbed, so I want to be sure I'm physically prepared

When should I tell someone of my situation (non-smoker, cpap, bladder)? I'm guessing at the terminal when they arrange for my driver trainer.

I'm 50 with 3 years of Army experience, so I know what it's like to be out in the field working with a team. I'm looking forward to it. It's much better than what I have now, and I can't bare to do office work anymore.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Short Fuse EOD

Short Fuse EOD Road Train Member

Jul 29, 2015
    Midwest
    Something to keep in mind Sir. Being in his truck it’s kind of like being on a tiny deserted island. You share it very tight space with another person which in your case will be a stranger. If that person finds out you made an accident in the truck it could get violent. You don’t know these people and some people when they smell urine or poop in their home will feel violated by the trainee and it could get bad. I recommend you get a local job. Whatever your endeavors sir, I wish you the best.

4. roundhouse

roundhouse Road Train Member

Jul 11, 2018
    I’d defiantly be upfront with the recruiter and with the trainer .
    And don’t assume the recruiter has even discussed it with the trainer. They likely won’t mention it at all .

And I’d definitely look for a local job where you’re home every night .

your doctor has never mentioned the stadium buddy or anything similar ? Or some type of catheter system ?

maybe it’s because they haven’t taken your doc on a Caribbean vacation with free golf free food and free hookers ?

5. Zangief

Zangief Medium Load Member

Feb 19, 2011
    Jags Fan in Viking Country
    As others have said, be upfront with the trainer about your issues/needs. Regarding the CPAP, I'd much rather have a guy who has sleep apnea using his CPAP machine than not use it and saw logs with his snoring all night. It shouldn't be a problem at all if the trainer is a good guy.

Good luck with the training and in your driving career!

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.