Drivers Inc

Discussion in 'Canadian Truckers Forum' started by '88K100, Sep 16, 2020.

1. '88K100

'88K100 Road Train Member

Aug 23, 2020
    Any of you Canadians employed as incorporated drivers? I had called about a run, turned out to be “driver inc” job. Nice run but .60 cpm,,,I’m thinking too lean considering only meals can be expensed. I’d have to have accountant figure out the sweet spot

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. 3noses

3noses Light Load Member

Dec 16, 2009
    Clearwater, B.C.
    There is no "sweet spot", simple. This Driver INC is an illegal scam, well known in the trucking industry for years. Anyone stupid enough to engage in it deserves whatever Revenue Canada does to them, no excuses tolerated. The sooner it is eradicated, the better for everyone else in the industry, employees and employers...

4. '88K100

Aug 23, 2020
    ^It’s not illegal, CRA just does not like the fact they would have to actually do their job to collect taxes from many of the INC drivers who neglect to submit income tax.

Last edited: Sep 17, 2020
  5. Canadian_Trucker

Canadian_Trucker Bobtail Member

Aug 5, 2020
    There's nothing illegal about it. You register a company with the CRA, and your accountant goes over how much you make and based on that calculates your expenses. According to those calculations, how much you provincial and federal tax you owe is determined. It's not like you totally evade having to pay taxes

'88K100 Thanks this.
  6. '88K100

Aug 23, 2020
    Which is why I have pointed out "whats the sweet spot" As Driver Inc you are not eligible for paid stats or vacation pay which cost my current employer about $7k annually. I only source CRA for info,,not the trucking rags or CB GB's. Now I read that CRA has made deducting meals ineligible for Driver Incs,,,which IMO is discriminatory lMO... Big hoopla but really,,CRA chases lawyers, doctors, contractors, butchers, bakers and candlestick makers for the the same reason,,,,they all crooks if left unattended however they have singled out TRUCK DRIVERS.....We pay cash for many services IE: new roof,,no receipt required,,,do we know contractor paid taxes,,,I don't know and really don't give a crap as its not my problem

Last edited: Sep 17, 2020
  7. liner

liner Medium Load Member

Mar 15, 2008
    ontario
    Legal or not why would you want to work as a "Driver Inc". The only reason guys go this route is to avoid taxes. There are plenty of bottom feeder scab outfits doing the Driver Inc thing and most of them wouldn't be worth working for . Why not just go and work for a company that does things right.

8. uncleal13

uncleal13 Road Train Member

Apr 9, 2009
    Humboldt, Sk
    A Driver Inc job should pay more than a standard employee. You now have to cover both halves of CPP, which is over 10% now a days. The only savings would be Employment Insurance which you won’t be eligible to collect.
    If a company is caught, they don’t go after you. They go after the employer.

'88K100 Thanks this.
  9. Canadianhauler21

Canadianhauler21 Heavy Load Member

May 15, 2017
    Driver inc is very common in the industry within Canada. The current company I work for pays 57 cents per solo mile on payroll and 0.63 cents on driver inc.

There's literally drivers in my company who have been driver inc for 20+ years and have had no issues with CRA. Even after being audited there still isn't any issues. I'm talking about incorporated company drivers of course.

I'm guessing the CRA just doesn't care, as long as you pay something at the end of the year.

'88K100 and uncleal13 Thank this.
  10. 3noses

3noses Light Load Member

Dec 16, 2009
    Clearwater, B.C.
    It will be your problem if they catch you. It is illegal, call them and ask. If you don't own the truck, which will be the first thing they will ask, you are an EMPLOYEE, not a contractor. I personally know someone who got away with it for years, until another driver who he had a beef with ratted him out to Revenue Canada. Full multi-year audit, tens of thousands of claimed expenses disallowed, fines, all piled up. A settlement was reached, and he had to pay
    every penny, with interest. Don't do it, not worth it.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.