Drivers License at Shipper/Receiver

Discussion in 'Shippers & Receivers - Good or Bad' started by Burned, Nov 29, 2006.

1. ZVar

ZVar Road Train Member

Sep 10, 2010
    Flint, MI
    Is it really against the law? Got a link if so?

Myself, I got our company start a company ID policy. The factory I picked up at daily, just randomly one Saturday asked for my drivers license. Of course no mangers were around when I refused to let the guard have it. Heck, I was even willing to hold it so he could verify I was who I said I was. Nope, not good enough, he had to hold it in his hands.
    Reader digest version is very shortly after that all of us drivers company wide had to get ID's made....

Sorry, but I flat refuse to strand myself 150 miles from my house when you loose my license. And that's a home daily, 150 mile from home location. Can't see anyone willing give up their license 2,000 miles from home.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. BrandonCDLdriver

BrandonCDLdriver Road Train Member

Sep 1, 2017
    It's against the law to DEMAND it. I think drivers here should read this before handing over their license to drive their rig to a stranger.

Driver's License | Identity Theft - Consumer Reports News

4. ZVar

ZVar Road Train Member

Sep 10, 2010
    Flint, MI
    Again, got a link where it's illegal? Heck, even your link states at east one state says to record it. That's the exact opposite of it being against the law.
    Is it a good idea? Of course not.
    Not what I asked though.

5. BrandonCDLdriver

Sep 1, 2017
    Nobody is required to produce their license to anyone. So yes, it's against the law to demand it. It would fall under your states coercion laws, they would fall under the crime of duress. You cannot be forced to do something against your will, with the threat of any repercussions by the person threatening you.

Coercion - Wikipedia

It's kinda sorda like blackmail, sorda. KInda.

Last edited: Nov 29, 2018
  6. ZVar

ZVar Road Train Member

Sep 10, 2010
    Flint, MI
    And yet no one has produced a law stating as such... Look I know you wish it to be law, and for the record I do too, but it simply is not.

roshea Thanks this.
  7. Matt43324

Matt43324 Light Load Member

Jun 1, 2014
    I put a small piece of electrical tape over my address. My identity was stolen when I was in Afghanistan, not letting it happen again.

8. BrandonCDLdriver

Sep 1, 2017
    Apparently you didnt read the link I posted in the thread. It's called coercion. That is illegal. There won't be a law SPECIFICALLY stating its illegal to be forced to hand over your license at a shipper or receiver, but coercion covers any situation where you are being threatened to do something against your will.

I can't make it any clearer than that. "Hand over your drivers license or we won't unload you" is coercion. Why? Because in this industry you have to get unloaded and your BOL signed to get paid for the load. So being told "give me your drivers license or you won't get paid" is a direct threat. Being forced to hand over the ONE thing that makes it legal for you to drive the commercial vehicle that you were in to get there is definitely coercion. If they just ask for a company ID like FedEx always does, that's fine. That's just my photo and my name. But my DRIVERS LICENSE......no that's a 'hole 'nutha ball game.

Technically "get in this locked cage or we won't unload you" is coercion as well but at least its not a threat to your identity.

Last edited: Dec 30, 2018
  9. ZVar

ZVar Road Train Member

Sep 10, 2010
    Flint, MI
    The link that says it's fine to copy a license? The same one you posted?

By your logic of coercion, hos is illegal too. After all it denies my free will to get paid. I hope you realize how ridiculous that sounds.
    Coercion is something to try for in a court of law. It's not something that applies to a guard asking for license.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.