Drivers percentage

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by honesttruth, Apr 2, 2021.

1. rcelmo

rcelmo Medium Load Member

Mar 23, 2015
    Been running percentage for several years now. Works OK except
    our routes don't pay the same. Funny how that works but the easiest routes
    we have pay the best percentage.

New hires get stuck with the poor paying routes......poor routes are more
    work but pay about half......needless to say they have an extremely high turnover
    rate.

Company knows they have an issue but it is a contract with the same customer.
    If we want the good route we have to take the bad one too.

We also have issues with wait times.......I guess my point is I would rather
    run hourly.............get paid the same regardless of route or wait times.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. skallagrime

skallagrime Road Train Member

Apr 10, 2012
    Indiana

So youre going to assume the employer is always lying if they pay percentage, then a rando on the internet says he pays percentage and you want a job with him?

Be consistent or admit that you have trust issues. As if a company cant cheat you on hourly or mileage pay or any other way.

4. mustang190

mustang190 Road Train Member

Jan 18, 2011
    Florida Panhandle
    No. I was able to see the contracts and knew what the terms were.
    As I said in another posts it was when the owner started hiding those terms was when the trouble began.

Coffey, Redtwin and slow.rider Thank this.
  5. Redtwin

Redtwin Road Train Member

Aug 17, 2012
    PBC, FL
    Not looking for a job with anyone. My comment about him not being based in South Florida was in response to his stating that he has trouble finding drivers. The only companies down that way constantly advertising are the ones offering $16 per hour local for Class A. A far cry from what he said his drivers make.

And no, you can't get cheated on hourly or mileage pay. The CPM is known up front and the loads have the mileage clearly stated. Sure, you don't get paid for every mile covered, but that is known up front. Every hourly job I've ever had I clocked in and out. Not sure how a company can cheat you there.

6. mc8541ss

mc8541ss Road Train Member

Sep 22, 2007
    Lower Alabama
    No and the only time we will go down there is when we can get enough to come back out empty. If we luck onto something we just consider it a bonus.

Coffey, slow.rider and Redtwin Thank this.
  7. mc8541ss

mc8541ss Road Train Member

Sep 22, 2007
    Lower Alabama
    Dishonest people are gonna be dishonest. Doesn’t matter if they are an employer or an employee. I’ve seen drivers selling fuel or gallons of oil and fuel treatment in truck stops.
    I have also seen plenty of hourly workers screw over their employer by dragging their ###.I’ve seen drivers who get paid hourly driving 55 in a 70mph zone. Seen them at shippers and receivers telling other drivers they could go in front of them because they were on hourly pay so didn’t care how long they had to wait.
    I’ve seen companies use household good miles instead of actual miles. I’ve heard of companies that don’t tell the drivers the true rate. I’ve seen some that charged them for tarps and securement equipment.
    I like the percentage system because when we work as a team and everyone hustles, we all do well. I completely understand the perception of drivers doubting the pay and that’s why I am so open with them and will show them every document on any load they want to see. We gotta be able to trust each other. If you can’t trust who your working for, you need to find someone else to work for. Trucking jobs are easy to find so their is no reason to be working for a crappy bottom feeder company.

Last edited: Apr 7, 2021
    striker, Redtwin, Coffey and 3 others Thank this.
  8. wp77

wp77 Light Load Member

Jan 20, 2015
    Can’t go wrong with hourly. Piece rate is designed by the employer to benefit the employer. Period.

Rideandrepair Thanks this.
  9. Rideandrepair

Rideandrepair Road Train Member

Aug 8, 2015
    Percentage is great, if done honestly. Too may Companies make high rates, with short or difficult Loads. Driver gets the same pay, puts up with all the hassle. If paid true percentage, he might not complain about it. Maybe enjoy it.

spindrift Thanks this.
  10. spindrift

spindrift Road Train Member

Dec 2, 2014
    Texas
    I'd love percentage. Keeps everyone happy and things above board...as long as those in the know are honest.

Rideandrepair and slow.rider Thank this.
  11. Redtwin

Redtwin Road Train Member

Aug 17, 2012
    PBC, FL
    Where I work we are primarily paid CPM, but short runs, 250 miles or less, are paid percentage. I have no clue what it is a percentage of, I just know what each run pays as they are almost always to a dedicated customer from a particular shipper.

I prefer to think of it as a flat rate as the actual percentage means nothing to me.

slow.rider and spindrift Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.