Driving in Australia

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by jordanshackelford, Dec 9, 2022.

1. krupa530

krupa530 Light Load Member

Dec 3, 2014
    Orem, UT
    Which part

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. TallJoe

TallJoe Road Train Member

Apr 12, 2016
    Chicagoland
    Pomerania. On the Polish side.

4. krupa530

krupa530 Light Load Member

Dec 3, 2014
    Orem, UT
    Nice. I’m British but do have a Polish surname. Dads step dad was Polish.

5. jaffles

jaffles Light Load Member

Oct 18, 2017
    Australia
    That's a nice idea, I can see the life style already.

I'd ask these blokes about what's required to drive a Truck. DOT Home

A B-Double will have a different license class compared to ja single, but that just means its another driving test. It will change slightly from State to State but over the other side of the country in Queensland, you can test for a single (HC class) and B double (MC class) in the same test. Its around AU $300 to $1000 pending if you use a driving school and get a bit of tuning up before the test. You will need to have held a HR (Heavy Rigid-bodied truck) for 12 months to qualify for a HC or MC. Heavy Rigid licence (HR) Ask the Department if a US license for a single or double of ore than 12 months cancels out HR time in Aus.

Perhaps first of all ask these blokes what the deal is Department of Home Affairs We have plenty if immigrant drivers on our roads but I presume they have migrated to, or are in the process of. To fly in and fly out may be a challenge. But governments have been flying doctors over from NZ at insanely dumb money to fill gaps, sadly I don't think truck drivers are in the same crowd.

Some one mentioned go for a holiday first, meet a few people and make some contacts. You never know what can come of it and on the ground is perhaps the most direct path with meaningful outcomes.
    I spoke with a tow truck driver working a low loader float the other day. AU $45 per hour m-f 6 to 6. Nights and Saturdays were $60 ph, public holidays and Sundays $90ph. The driver used to pull 100-150T stuff around for the mines, but said this gig was a lot cruiser without all the safety overkill of mining. He was working around 12 hrs a day, sometimes up to 16. But not bad to go home to his bed each night with no truck ownership responsibilities.

homeskillet and Cat sdp Thank this.
  6. BitcoinBuddha

BitcoinBuddha Light Load Member

Oct 22, 2022
    Westland Antartica
    how much more do they pay in australia? ive always wanted to go down there its just flat and boring which is nice for miles but you anit gonna have a loves or pilot lolol just outback desert keep me posted honestly id prefer new zealand beautiful country

7. Trevor 57

Trevor 57 Light Load Member

Dec 7, 2021
    Victoria Australia
    not all Australia is flat, we do have mountains and hills

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.