Driving in Iraq

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by helmutRoole, Mar 14, 2008.

1. kwray

kwray Medium Load Member

Jun 14, 2009
    Pennsylvania
    I'll be go to hell before I let anyone else do the shootin' for me....

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. TheRumRunner

TheRumRunner Light Load Member

Sep 6, 2009
    Louisville, KY
    i agree, you gotta at least have a defensive side arm to carry. I would try and procure a HK SOCOM .45 for use in those desert conditions.

4. paratroop73

paratroop73 Light Load Member

Jul 14, 2008
    Northern Wi
    I was in Iraq from 04/03 to 04/04, and re-upped there from 05/04-02/05.
    You guys are dreaming if you think carrying a firearm will help you in any way if you are ambushed.
    The only use it would serve would be if you stopped and you don't stop when you're getting ambushed.
    And the S____ was already in the fan when I was there. They were at one point losing 1-2 fuel tankers/day on MSR Jackson.
    And now, they want to attack you they aren't goin to do it with a p-shooter. They will blow an IED from 20 miles away with a cell phone, using a ten yr old as a spotter.
    And yes, I spent more time running MSR Tampa and Jackson then any trucker in that country. Worked with MP's doing convoy security runs to Anaconda.

5. TheRumRunner

Sep 6, 2009
    Louisville, KY
    isnt anyone running high intensity jammers in the convoy? hell i have a personal jammer that knocks out cell phones up to 25 feet (kinda fun in the movie theatres, at a stop light, in the store,etc) and ive seen the ones that can take out a square block... anyway, armor is to hopefully stop the rounds while moving and the pistol is for exactly what you said, if your stopped and gotta make a run for it.. id rather go out fighting and maybe take a few with me than as a sheep led to the slaughter empty handed.

6. TheRumRunner

Sep 6, 2009
    Louisville, KY
  7. aussiejosh

aussiejosh Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2009
    Airlie Beach QLd
    Yeah arm yourself fat lot of good thats going to against an RPG met up with a driver who was recruited from South Africa to driver over there from Kuwait to Iraq when he saw the truck in front of him lose the whole front end with a hit from an RPG he decided that his stay in Iraq was over i don't blame him i feel sorry for all those people wasting there lives for what to combat terrorism give me a break the terrorists are not in Iraq there in Afganistan but hey don't listen to me what do i know huh. :biggrin_25513:

8. Styleten

Styleten Bobtail Member

Sep 10, 2009
    NY
    How does the pay work, once a month direct deposit?
    Also what if you break contract like the guy mentioned and go home after 2 months. Do they jack your earned income or something? I have interest i hear you drive from an airport to a hub (so to speak) once or twice a day. Also that the pay was about 10k a month.

9. Gonzo_

Gonzo_ Medium Load Member

Oct 30, 2008
    Clayton, NC
    Why would anyone wanting to work in the sandbox want to carry some "revolver", .45 or anything?? Your not going to do any good with it when your being engaged by RPG, IED's, AK's and BIGGER!! You'd be much better off spending your $$ on some nice body armor than a pea shooter.
    The last I heard is that KBR has changed from paying salery to paying milage. Contractors were sabotaging trucks to stay in camp so they didn't have to roll and still got paid.. (little stuff like "Oh, I got a flat.. or somthing.."). Now they're on milage. If you don't roll you don't get paid..

10. TheRumRunner

Sep 6, 2009
    Louisville, KY

the body armor is a no-brainer, the reason for the sidearm is since a contractor carrying a gun is against company policy and can apparently get you fired it is easier to hide/conceal a pistol vs. a M4 or AK (which I would still have behind the seat if possible ;)).. obviously when it comes time to use it its better off fighting back and being alive and looking for another job then dead. Many people have stayed alive with a pistol in hostile situations, it may not be the best choice in ground combat but its still better than nothing.. I can hit my mark at a decent range with all of my pistols, like a rifle it just comes down to practice.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.