Driving in sock feet

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by Rat Fink, May 3, 2009.

1. dancnoone

dancnoone "Village Idiot"

May 6, 2007
    Mississippi
    My wife is going to kill me...

I usually catch the selection of beach shoes (not sandals) on sale at Wal-Mart, and buy 2 or 3 pair for about $10 at the end of summer.

Yeh, I get some strange looks. But I keep a regular pair of shoes in the truck too.

That's what I wear most times when I'm driving...very thin beach shoes.

kickin chicken Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Red Fox

Red Fox Road Train Member

Jan 26, 2009
    Acworth, Ga.
    As a note of common sense, and aside of the law...socks IMO would actually be worse than barefoot, because they're slippery. Flipflops, shoes, barefoot - at least give enough grip so as not to slide a foot off of a pedal when braking if the truck is bouncing.
    The electric shock from a short theory I'd heard mentioned doesn't wash, since 12v is nothing much and the vehicle itself is grounded anyway. I know of a guy in the Ga. state legislature who only drives with shoes off because he likes to feel the road, but that's in a car with rubber covered pedals, where slippage isn't a problem.

4. Rat Fink

Rat Fink Light Load Member

Nov 18, 2008
    Lethbridge, AB
    My brake pedal has a large ridge protruding from it that makes it difficult for even sock feet to slip from it. My arch goes right on that ridge and there's no problem. Even my clutch pedal on the odd time I actually use it...has ridges in it that make it difficult for my feet to slip off.

5. ship71021

ship71021 Medium Load Member

Nov 7, 2007
    Louisiana
    I tried years back to drive with my socks and it felt so uncomfortable. I wear shoes while driving but I also take my shoes off before I enter the sleeper. I'm somewhat of a clean freak by the way.

6. rjthetrucker

rjthetrucker Bobtail Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Loveland, CO
    I took it a step further... I went and bought a bunch of those nice shaggy soft bathroom floor mats and cut them to fit my floor. I would take my shoes and socks off and set the cruise. It was kinda nice being able to run my toes through that soft shag. I would only do this on the open highway under cruise control conditions, though. I'd always put shoes on if I got into any kind of traffic.

7. punkinhed

punkinhed Medium Load Member

Sep 19, 2008
    hello, cleveland!
    a good pair of sandals is indistinguishable from bare feet, imho. after 14 years i finally had to put my birks out to pasture.

8. Red Fox

Red Fox Road Train Member

Jan 26, 2009
    Acworth, Ga.
    Actually, I'd thought about a "shoebox" once; a box bolted on the upper step to put the runarounds in so that you could wear something else inside to keep the cab clean. I'd tried before to use different mats and stuff, but had to step in mud sooner or later and then have to clean it all up.
    It sounds even more useful in these days of pee lots. I wear "Lugz", the slip-on shoes with the thick hiking style soles. They work for everything from going out to walking around a jobsite in mud. And last forever, it seems.
    [​IMG]A small aluminum toolbox comes to mind. Allready built and has a lock hasp on it. You'd drill holes in the bottom so you could wash it out periodically without unbolting it. Some sandpaper and paint, and you could black it, aluminize, or paint the color of the truck.

Last edited: May 5, 2009
  9. 1nonly

1nonly tease-y-ness

Jul 2, 2008
    The burning sands of the SW
    In a car I once took my shoes off (they had gotten wet and were really uncomfortable) and I made it about five minutes before my foot cramped. I've never tried it again.

Maybe if my cruise control worked.....

10. FriedTater

FriedTater Keeper of The Snakes

Mar 25, 2009
    United State of Texas
    I do whatever I need to do to be comfortable,I dont chase all the what-ifs or whatevers.
    No shoes past the right seat and shortly after the first hour its all about comfort.Our miles are long and 700 is an easy daily average.Its only against the law to drive barefoot in a few States,Texas being one of them.

11. Les2

Les2 Road Train Member

Jul 25, 2008
    kicked back in my lazyboy...
    It's illegal to drive a car or truck without shoes of some sort on your feet. I had an aunt that got a ticket for it.:biggrin_2552:

kickin chicken Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.