Driving on a Flat Tire ??????

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by jtrnr1951, Jan 16, 2010.

1. jtrnr1951

jtrnr1951 Road Train Member

Sooooo, what's up with drivers tooling down the highway with a blown tire??? Is that kosher or what ??

Guess that load can't be late--right !!

Any regulations (not speculation, guesses, rumors, common sense etc) that cover this ??

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Cobra281

Cobra281 Bobtail Member

Jan 13, 2009
    Dallas,Tx
    well coming from someone who has been ticketed for a defective tire i can see why they would keep going for a lil ways down the road. if you have a blowout and a car runs over it and you pull over you will get screwed over ask me how i know. not saying that you shouldnt stop but im stating what happens when you do stop. I always stop when i have a blownout tire because you know its the right thing to do. If you dont know the tire blew out you could technically keep driving until you noticed it and were away from folks who like to ruin your perfect mvr. keep the tires inflated to 100psi underinflation will cause excessive heat and likely cause the cap to come off and it aint good when other cars are around

mitmaks Thanks this.
  4. mustang970

mustang970 Road Train Member

Mar 27, 2009
    Homeless
    I guess when you see that truck tooling down the shoulder with a blown tire, he/she might be trying to save a buck to limp to the next truck stop as opposed to a road service call. But if loaded heavy, you run the risk of blowing out the other tires/tires, then what is saved? Or more damage from the bad tire flaying around. Don't think about the debris flying around the road causing a major safety hazzard. I would tend to think the best thing to do is pull over as quickly and safely as possible. If you have to limp a short ways to a safe spot to pull over...

5. Sad_Panda

Sad_Panda Road Train Member

Dec 2, 2006
    More than likely, the driver called his company breakdown and then they started talking a story like this;

'Well driver, this is what you are gonna do...."

ATA is short for Always f'n the Trucker in the A55, because that's all the members do. You wouldn't believe how many times I've had to drag a trailer somewhere to get fixed after road damage or even damaged in the yard. But since the new law is going on, breakdown can s my d and send the wrenchmobile to get it fixed where it sits. Not like it takes any longer to wait for them to fix it, or if you drag it to a shop.

mitmaks Thanks this.
  6. Allow Me.

Allow Me. Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

May 28, 2009
    Rancho Mirage, Ca.
    If you cross a scale with an obvious blown tire and the scale Dude sees it, you are oos. Same thing with limping down the shoulder doing 40 mph with your 4 ways on, you are only allowed to do that to get to the next off ramp, not drive 85 miles to a shop.

7. REDD

REDD The Legend

Jun 29, 2009
    Dueling Banjoville
    Some... What the hell, Most drivers don't do a pre trip inspection. So as a result they don't realize that they have a flat tire!

8. Roadmedic

Roadmedic Road Train Member

Apr 4, 2007
    Did my pre trip one morning at 2:30 am. Next stop was at the scale on 74 outside of Cincinnati.

Seems I had a flat tire.

Just happened, in fact the screw was found in the tire.

Guess I was one of those that did not check the truck out.

9. Storm

Storm Light Load Member

Dec 2, 2009
    USA
    i run around the truck really fast like my butt is on fire...:biggrin_2559: its worth the check i saved myself from buying a tire...:biggrin_25512::biggrin_2554: yea a piece of scrap sheet steel woulda poped it like a balloon..

10. REDD

REDD The Legend

Jun 29, 2009
    Dueling Banjoville
    #### happens while your driving... I do realize that & have had the same instances happen. But tell me... How many drivers do you see just jump in the truck, turn the key, & go? I've seen many of them. I've also seen them roll out of the truckstop with flat tires, no mud flats, no taillights.... You know exactly what I'm saying.

11. RickG

RickG Road Train Member

Jul 22, 2008
    Owensboro , KY
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.