Driving on a flat tire

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by BIGLEFTYINTX, Sep 20, 2018.

1. BIGLEFTYINTX

BIGLEFTYINTX Light Load Member

Nov 20, 2017
    Why would a driver do this? I was on the fwy watching a truck drive with a flat on the inner right trailer driving for miles with his flashers on ,but not pulling over . I didnt understand why he would continue to drive, wouldnt this cause other tire to blow due to extra weight it now having to carry and cause a worst issue?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Last Time Around

Last Time Around Medium Load Member

Jun 9, 2018
    Maybe he was attempting to get to a repair facility vs paying for road side service? Maybe he was empty.
    Maybe he was light.

snowlauncher, Opus, Vic Firth and 3 others Thank this.
  4. CrappieJunkie

CrappieJunkie Wishin' I was fishin'

Mar 9, 2014
    In a van down by the River.
    I picked up a trailer once that had 4 flat tires on it. Loves refused to come to me. I was picking up at a Walmart DC and tbey wouldnt let me stay so my company said limp it down the road 30 miles to the closest truck stop. So I did.

5. Oldironfan

Oldironfan Road Train Member

May 22, 2017
    I've run on a flat inner rear trailer tire loaded from near Minneapolis, to Post Falls, ID.
    Don't tell on me, and don't try this at home.
    this is what you get when boss dont want to deal with issues after 8pm.

Truckermania and NavigatorWife Thank this.
  6. skellr

skellr Road Train Member

Jul 17, 2011
    The Village, Portmeirion
    Not a good idea, especially on an inside tire. Parts of the tire could flail around and take out an airbag.

I would creep slow on the shoulder to an exit, but that's it.

7. Oldironfan

Oldironfan Road Train Member

May 22, 2017
    After 20 miles there is nothing left of a tread. Only side walls.

12BSEEN, NavigatorWife and Komputergod Thank this.
  8. skellr

skellr Road Train Member

Jul 17, 2011
    The Village, Portmeirion
    There ya go. If you haven't taken out an airbag within the first 20 miles, you're good to go.

9. smokey12

smokey12 Road Train Member

May 30, 2012
    You have to weigh the options. If it's more beneficial safety wise to get to an exit a few miles up the road it might be a better idea. Just know if your spotted doing it you might get popped by DOT...just depends.When it's happened to me I have fortunately been able to get to an exit not far fron where the tire blew..roadsode assistance sure appreciates it..its safer for everyone involved. If it's a tractor tire forget it.

10. TripleSix

TripleSix God of Roads

Apr 10, 2009
    Copied in Hell
    There are certain sections of road that have no shoulder. There are certain places that are so desolate that it could take a day to get a repair truck. There are certain areas where there aren’t any tires available that will fit 24.5 wheels.

“Why would anyone ever try to limp a truck with a flat?”

I actually don’t know his reasoning, but it’s not my place to know.

11. Jazz1

Jazz1 Road Train Member

May 7, 2012
    Thunder Bay On
    That is usually at the direction of dispatch. “Can you limp it in, we really need that freight”
    This is when you realize everything company told you about how they operate is complete BS
    Don’t do it, that tire could jump off and if it does not take out tire beside it your trailer lights will get destroyed

snowlauncher Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.