Driving OTR with US Xpress

Discussion in 'US Xpress' started by Wedge, Mar 24, 2012.

1. Gravion

Gravion Bobtail Member

Apr 9, 2013
    Oak Ridge, TN
    Ok i must really be on someone #### list or something, i came here right out of school and have been here for a little over a year. And believe me my experience with this company was great at first, im in the same boat you are no passport or any of that. But i do get port loads and rail loads, don't have the exp you had when hired on. But i have not seen a 900 dollars check since i ran teams 7 months ago, my scale is 34, 30, 25, thats from short to long. but i do more sitting then anything else, could it be my FM you think?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. sesstexas

sesstexas Light Load Member

Jan 21, 2012
    Longview, TX
    Gravion,

I would get the hell up outta that FM's fleet. I recommend Richard Kane out of Tunnel Hill. He is a rather new guy but he is great when it comes to being a dispatcher. He fights for the good loads, always answers the phones and calls you back, gets you layover pay whenever you need it, and is an all around good guy. Since being on his fleet, there have been only a few times where my mileage has dropped below 2500 for a week and that is when I go home. With the exception of a few slow weeks, I usually stay over 3000. I'm not saying my checks are always $900, by far. They usually range from $600-$900 but generally hover at $700-$750. I ask for layover pay or breakdown pay every chance I get, even if I am only down for 22 hours (my DM is great about getting it for me with those scenarios), drops on loads if I'm going to be 12 hours or more early to deliver (especially if I'm going by a terminal on the route), and if I don't like a load, all I need to do is call my DM, he calls the planner, and somehow or another he gets it worked out either with a new, better load or changing aspects of the current load. Don't get me wrong, you will have your ups and downs. For instance, I'm sitting at the Irving terminal right now, been here since Monday of last week waiting to get into the shop for DriverTech problems and finally got word that they are bringing me in in the morning. However, I'm getting breakdown pay at $50/day for every day that I'm here. No, its not as good as the money I would make running, but, its a heck of a lot better than getting nothing for all this down time. The thing is, most drivers aren't smart enough to ask. And yes, you have to ask for breakdown/layover pay, they don't just automatically give it to you.

If they ask you why you want to change DMs, just say he was recommended by another driver and you want to get of your current DMs fleet because you are not getting the miles and you feel they are not giving you any assistance in trying.

Let us know what happens and how everything turns out!!

sharp.dressed.man Thanks this.
  4. sharp.dressed.man

sharp.dressed.man Heavy Load Member

Dec 10, 2011
    IL
    I'm thinking of coming back to USX I went through orientation and got hired, but I didn't end up driving for them. I know you said you were OTR full 48, but are they keeping you east of I-35 mostly? How much northeast driving are you doing? I've only driven 10 speed can you tell me how that compares to 8 or 9? 7-750 seems low for 3k miles a week do you have extra deductions or something? What are the delivery windows like are they tight? How often do you get to drop and hook?

Thanks a lot for taking the time to post about your experience with USX I'm on the fence.

5. sesstexas

sesstexas Light Load Member

Jan 21, 2012
    Longview, TX
    Well, they generally try to only book loads that stay east of the I-35 corridor, at least for regular company drivers. They do have dedicated fleets that are out west, specifically Coors from Golden, CO to wherever they need and another that runs out of southern California. Also, on some occasions they do book random loads that go out west but sometimes its a pain to get back east. I requested to be "listed" as available to run all 48 but since I came here in September 2012 I have only been west once, to Goodyear, AZ and then straight back to Laredo, TX. Other than that the only times I've been west of I-35 were only a matter of 100 or so miles from I-35 to pickup or drop off and it was always going east or had a pick-up to go back east. If I had to guess, 95% of my loads have never made me go west of I-35; which kind of sucks because that is the side I prefer.... As for the north east, you can elect to no NYC loads and if you have a cool DM they can actually put it on your profile for NO NE LOADS at all, which that is pretty nice. I still go into PA and maybe upstate New York but never any farther north, into the large cities, or anywhere close to NJ...

The ten speeds and nine speeds are quite similar. I will try to make a rough rendering of the shift pattern below but for sake of argument, I will try to explain it to you the best I can. Comparing the two, where a ten speed has gears 1 and 5, a nine speed has L (low) for 1 and nothing for 5. On a nine speed, you can take of in 2 loaded, 3 empty or really light loaded, and 4 if you're bobtail. 1 if you're trying to take of a 10% grade loaded heavy and L if you're trying to climb a wall pulling a cruise ship.

Nine speed XXX R 1 3 XXX Nine speed XXX RH 5 7 XXXXX Ten speed XXX R 2 4 XXX Ten Speed XXX RH 7 9
    Splitter dwn XXX L 2 4 XXX splitter up XXX ?? 6 8 XXXXX splitter dn XXX 1 3 5 XXX Splitter up XXX 6 8 10

In the open spot on "nine speed, splitter up" where the L would be, there actually is a gear there. It's really weird and best described as a "high low gear." I don't know if you're supposed to use it but I never do and I left it off of the make shift diagram to try to avoid confusion. The only eight speeds we have are some of the older 2011 Peterbilt 387s and there are very VERY few of them. I don't think you will have to worry about getting one of those tho. They're getting ready to start trading them. But on the off chance you do, the shift pattern is the same as the nine speed. The only difference is there is nothing where L (low) is in either "splitter down or splitter up" position. Just nothing, you cant even go into the slot, its blocked. The power of an eight speed is laughable at best and if you do get one, you better hope you don't get anything heavier than 20,000 lbs in the box.

The $700-$750 figure is for a average paycheck on an average week at 3000 miles. I pay $10/wk for my pet policy and they with-hold an extra $20/wk for my taxes. Other than that, the only deductions I have coming out are from Uncle Sam and his FICA and SS and they are killer, as of this year anyway...

They actually give you more than enough time to make deliveries but if you know you will be there early, by all means, ask for a drop or appointment change. They will usually give it to you, if available. I've pulled some hot loads but nothing too extreme. Sometimes somebody "forgets about a load" and it gets assigned to me and by that time, it is already 2 hrs-2 days late for pick up. Usually, in that situation, they are either already in the process of rescheduling the load for you or the shipper knows the situation and will load you asap. Either way, its not your fault that the load is late so nothing goes on your record or DAC for it.

They tell you drop & hook is 95% of our freight and 99% is no touch. I can tell you from experience that the drop & hook is more like 85% and they're pretty much dead on on the no touch. In my seven months here, I have only assisted in the loading one time. And again, it was only an assist. So no worries on that. The dedicated fleets are more like 50%/50% no touch, depending on which one you get onto if that is the route you choose.

Hope I helped and good luck in choosing a company to go to!

6. Gravion

Gravion Bobtail Member

Apr 9, 2013
    Oak Ridge, TN
    Well i am not lucky enough to run all 48 even though i was hired for it i have spent the last 7 months in new york state, new jersey, and pa. Ill check into that FM and ty but im still strongly thinking of leaving, i have to be true to myself and i am here to try and better myself and im not going to do that on what they are giving me. home time, break, layover, detention pay, all of the above i have to fight with someone for, sometimes it is my fm sometimes it aint. i dont think you should have to threaten to quit every week just to make miles.

Bigdubber and SAMMY6969 Thank this.
  7. flood

flood Road Train Member

Dec 25, 2010
    the reason most SOLO otr driver stay east of I-35 is most of the loads going west of I-35 are team required because of time..

Wedge Thanks this.
  8. sammycat

sammycat "Oldest Hijackerette"

Apr 11, 2010
    Rochester, NY
    Hey Wedge

Sorry for the latest bad news (Clutch) but hopefully you had some time to get some writing done on your novel!

Also sorry Dave and I couldn't treat you to a nice dinner when you texted me as you found out, we were in Washington DC that week on vacation. Figures huh? :biggrin_25513:

Keep my number as you are still ALWAYS welcome (well when we are home!)

I will keep the coffee hot for you and hopefully you get home soon!!

Wedge Thanks this.
  9. SAMMY6969

SAMMY6969 Medium Load Member

Nov 12, 2011
    Wow..my fm sucks......i m on a 34..ends in the morning i hv asked all day different fm,s..for a preplan...and i hvent got one yet..makes no sence...

10. Wedge

Wedge Road Train Member

Jun 20, 2010
    Griffin, Georgia

Too bad I missed you guys. I was in the neighborhood for a couple of days. Got a great view of the lake.

I made it home by Saturday night. Had to spend 6 1/2 weeks out making up for those 2 breakdowns.

The new clutch is great. And the best part is Freightliner decided to replace the shifter. That was on my "get it fixed" list for Frankenstein.

Maybe next time, Sammycat. Keep that coffee pot at the ready. :biggrin_25525:

sammycat Thanks this.
  11. sammycat

sammycat "Oldest Hijackerette"

Apr 11, 2010
    Rochester, NY
    Wow 6 1/2 weeks out? Is that the longest so far you have stayed out?

I bet you were glad to get home after the breakdowns!

You got to see Lake Ontario- cool. It's only about 2 miles from the house. It's nice in the summer to go up to the lake or bay and just relax or walk. I love the water.

Next time --hopefully --my friend!!:biggrin_25514:

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.