Driving OTR with US Xpress

Discussion in 'US Xpress' started by Wedge, Mar 24, 2012.

1. Wedge

Wedge Road Train Member

Jun 20, 2010
    Griffin, Georgia

The longest I've stayed out was 13 weeks and that was in 2011 (Christmas). Staying out is not too bad as long as you keep moving.

This time out seemed long because of the breakdowns.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. sammycat

sammycat "Oldest Hijackerette"

Apr 11, 2010
    Rochester, NY
    That makes sense.....doing any job that has unproductive time makes the job that much longer! And for you it hurts the bottom line!

13 weeks- that's a long time. How do you manage things like medication refills? I know you can get 90 day supplies but what if you are out longer? Just a thought since I deal with people and their medications all the time...... (in my job). I know you can do laundry and shop (if you have time!) but there has to be other ''little'' things you have learned to manage since going OTR that may give someone else reading your thread (you get newbies here still :) )some good heads up and ideas. Ah...those newbie days seem so long ago now huh?

Funny to think it's been three years since I joined TTR and I was immersed in the wonderful crazy world of truck driving!

Stay safe my friend!

Wedge Thanks this.
  4. flood

flood Road Train Member

Dec 25, 2010
    med's are EZ ''walmart''

Wedge Thanks this.
  5. Wedge

Wedge Road Train Member

Jun 20, 2010
    Griffin, Georgia

Flood hit the nail on the head. Walmart is a save-all on the road.

You can easily park at a Walmart and stock up on supplies if you are going to extend you stay on the road. And you can have your MD fax your script into any Walmart location and have it refilled.

For me, I get meds by mail, and I keep an 8 week supply with me at all times, and it worked out just fine even having 2 un-expected breakdowns and staying out 2 weeks longer than planned (my norm is 4 weeks out).

I still find that doing laundry is the biggest pain, and that's because I don't like paying $2 for every load I wash and dry. I try to knock out laundry at least once a week. It keeps the laundry cost at $4 per week, and 1 laundry bag of dirty clothes is easy to store.

But if I know I'm going to be at a terminal, I'll wait and wash my clothes there for free.

6. SAMMY6969

SAMMY6969 Medium Load Member

Nov 12, 2011
    Ok..US XPRESS..IM TRYING TO GET A NEW ,,FM....FOR MANY REASONS..I HV CALLED TO TALK TO DRIVER LEASON(CANT SPELL)LOL..LEFT SEVERAL MESSAGES NO ONE IS CALLING ME BACK..TALK TO MY FM SUPERVISER.GOT ME NO WHERE..IM READY TO SAY F....IT AND MOVE ON ..HOW BOUT MESSAGE TO MAX?? THINK IT WOULD MAKE A DIFERENCE???

7. flood

flood Road Train Member

Dec 25, 2010
    go to the company facebook page..... it works

SAMMY6969 Thanks this.
  8. vinsanity

vinsanity Road Train Member

Nov 23, 2009
    South Florida
    It works so good it's almost spooky. Be very careful what you say on that page...lol

SAMMY6969, biggare1980 and flood Thank this.
  9. NoCoCraig

NoCoCraig Road Train Member

Nov 7, 2010
    Chattanooga, Tennessee
    But not on the weekend. Wait until Monday morning

SAMMY6969 Thanks this.
  10. ATL-1

ATL-1 Medium Load Member

Apr 22, 2012
    Atlanta, GA
    I have had luck with message to Max before...

SAMMY6969 Thanks this.
  11. haus41

haus41 Bobtail Member

Apr 27, 2013
    Hello I am a former truckdriver (owner-op). I lost part of my leg 3 years ago. I recently found out that I am able to return to driving trucks. I have talked to a recruiter from usx about me leasing a truck with them. I want ask you guys how is their lease program and about how many miles per week are they getting? Thanks for your help.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.