Driving OTR with US Xpress

Discussion in 'US Xpress' started by Wedge, Mar 24, 2012.

1. flood

flood Road Train Member

Dec 25, 2010
    1750w (good luck finding a 1750w) but you will need to check because not all can be used..... has to do with the way the wires hook up,

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Wedge

Wedge Road Train Member

Jun 20, 2010
    Griffin, Georgia

Hey Sammycat.

I was in Rochester on the 1st. Lexington Ave to be specific. I would have called, but I had a time critical load and couldn't stick around. I headed right back south to Hebron, KY.

And-

As it turned out, it wasn't so time critical. They scheduled me for a 1600 delivery on the 2nd. The receiver decided to re-schedule me for the morning of the 3rd. So that trip won't make it into my settlement sheet for this week.

If I knew that was going to be the case, we could have visited for a while. Too bad, too. I don't get up that way too much. Would have been nice to see you and Dave again.

So this weeks settlement will be a dismal 1,946 miles.

And-

Speaking of blown loads: My next trip was a small hop from Mason, OH to Horse Cave, KY, paid miles 238. I show up at 0745 for my 0800 live load:

"Sorry. That load is gone. It left yesterday."

"You sure?"

"Yep. Call your dispatcher"

Grrrrrrrrrr.

So I go park.

Now, my FM wants to do right by me, so she sends me 2 pre-assignments. First one was another small run from Batavia, OH to Lima, OH (164 mi.) with a live load. The second was a 1,318 mile run, with stops, that picked up in Montpelier, OH at 1900 and final-ed in Denton, TX.

Duh.........If I started my day at 0700, a 1900 live load was really reaching. I grabbed the short run but held off on the big one. She really wanted me to keep that big P/A. I told her it has to be one or the other........not both.

I zipped over to the Batavia shipper and waited to get loaded.........ZZZZZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz :biggrin_25518:

Once I bumped the dock I contacted my FM and told her a 1900 pick up is just not possible. Give that P/A to another truck (I still had not accepted it).

Her response: "Shoot"

Finally, I got loaded and headed up to Lima to the P&G distribution center. Drop and hook. Grab the new mty. PTI..............and wouldn't you know..........Mud flap missing on the left side.

H.O.S remaining: 1:41. Travel time to shipper in Montpelier: 1:47

So much for that. :biggrin_2558:

I send in a message advising dispatch that the mud flap needed replacement, and would have to be handled in the AM. I headed to the Flying J in Beaverdam, OH to park for the night. They had a mud flap in stock so that wasn't going to be an issue.

My night FM and I had a conversation about that big P/A and he agreed that chances of me pulling that off was slim and none. He pointed out that the planners were leaving me on that run.

At 2100 one of the "bosses" asked me for my best ETA on the 4th for arrival in Montpelier, OH. I gave him 0900. That covered getting back hours and repairing the mud flap. It meant an early start this morning but that's the way it goes sometimes.

Finally, at 2230 I contact my night FM and he tells me I'm still on the load, so I said fine, accepted the pre-plan, then hit the sack.

At 2330 a message comes in while I'm in snoozing away:

What time can you make it to Montpelier? They're not open on the 4th, so they're waiting for you.

:biggrin_25526:

Naturally I don't see this message until the morning. And because I didn't respond they changed all the appointment times. So now this load picks up on the Sunday the 7th, and finals on the 9th. I asked for another load assignment, but that won't happen today.

And my home time is scheduled for the 10th.

So Sammycat, I'm spending my 4th at the Flying Hook in Beaverdam, OH doing laundry, watching NCIS, and playing on the computer.

Maybe I'll see some local fireworks.........

Yeah, right.

sammycat Thanks this.
  4. sammycat

sammycat "Oldest Hijackerette"

Apr 11, 2010
    Rochester, NY

Happy 4th of July Wedge!!!

Sorry we missed you on Monday -:biggrin_2557: we could have picked you up no problem and fed you steak and coffee!!!:biggrin_25519: Lexington Ave was where Dave was alot when he worked for the Genesee Brewery and drove the spotter truck I think that is where one of the warehouses was)

Dave finished up his summer class (Biology 120: he got a 98 so he is ''off'' now until late August when he starts full time at a local community college for his associate's degree. He was going to get a part time job this summer but that's a whole 'nuther story and bucket of fish!:biggrin_25521:
    (Not on Dave's part......) Anyways so he is home now until school. Has to go to Physical therapy appts several times a week (give you an idea now why he didn't get that part time job?)

My goodness-you go to Ohio ALOT!!!!!!! I'm sorry.....LOL! Dave lived in Ravenna for 20 yrs and was glad to 'escape' as he says!

We had no plans per se today either.....first off VERY humid here with risk of rain/thunder showers. It cleared up some this PM and I got some yard work done but it's HOT now! And humid!! Our cat Sam Cat (the real cat!) had surgery yesterday and had 11 teeth taken out!!! Long story short-he also, we found out, has some heart issues so it took almost 2 months to get him ready for the anesthesia. He did great but we knew we would need to watch him for a few days. He is doing good. The worst is his sister, Falina, is being very mean (he ''smells'' funny) and has been hissing and hitting. Sam is upstairs and Falina downstairs. Sam can't defend himself right now so........

Good to hear from ya and I hope you enjoy your ''Holiday'' and time home soon! and get some miles soon!!!!!

5. wulfman75

wulfman75 Road Train Member

Jul 15, 2010
    Athens, GA
    Ahh Montpelier OH, my old stomping grounds. Grew up in Hicksville, not too far away lol.

Wedge Thanks this.
  6. Wedge

Wedge Road Train Member

Jun 20, 2010
    Griffin, Georgia
    Just a quick update.

I'm on home-time until the 16th, and....my son is home which is a great thing. There is a lot of "catching up" to do as there would be when any soldier, who's been away for along time, finally comes home.

So see ya back out on the road.

NoCoCraig, wulfman75 and Wickedfire77 Thank this.
  7. Wickedfire77

Wickedfire77 Road Train Member

Mar 3, 2013
    Northern, Michigan
    I've been skimming through your thread, and I spotted you using the word "settlement" recently. Are you a Lease OP?
    I was wondering about USX finding Codrivers? I think I would like to team. I'm going to try to come on board...again...next Monday.

8. wulfman75

wulfman75 Road Train Member

Jul 15, 2010
    Athens, GA
    Settlement is trucker term for paycheck. Companies "settle" up the week's trips so to speak. Company drivers, lease op's, all get a settlement. Basically it's your paystub.

Wedge Thanks this.
  9. EasyB

EasyB Bobtail Member

Oct 27, 2012
    Omaha, NE
    I am a new L/P driver for them, and one thing I've noticed is that my dispatcher won't answer the phone most of the time, but will always answer the DT, other than that it is going pretty good so far, I drive a 2010 Cascadia, auto, super singles on the rear, disc brakes front and rear, will idle all day if I let it, and it will boogy down the road at 72, although I run a mere 60 on most of my loads.
    One thing I have noticed about preplans, when I final out on one load, but not quite sure about the preplan, when I asked a lot of questions concerning the load, they will go ahead and put me on it, but when I am asked if I can deliver on time, I put no, never hear a word from any one, I then just do my best on the run.

Wickedfire77 Thanks this.
  10. Wedge

Wedge Road Train Member

Jun 20, 2010
    Griffin, Georgia

Pleased to meet you, EasyB. :biggrin_25514:

Try to avoid using the phone unless it's an emergency or you have no choice. The system they have in place comes to a grinding halt every time they need to pick up the phone.

When they send the load info on a P-A without answering your questions, it's because you're the only choice they have, for whatever their reasoning. Always make sure you cover your tail about whether you can deliver on time or not. That DT is your proof.

Always let them know your status (when your rolling, eta's, shut down locations, HOS remaining). It helps them out and keeps the Pre-assigns coming in. :biggrin_255:

Good luck out there.

11. Wedge

Wedge Road Train Member

Jun 20, 2010
    Griffin, Georgia

What you could do is start out solo OTR and post a flyer in the terminal(s) that you're looking for a co-driver.

Finding the right team member is like finding a shoe that fits properly. You may have to talk to several candidates before you agree to partner up with someone.

Wickedfire77 Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.