Driving safely around big rigs

Discussion in 'Questions To Truckers From The General Public' started by Jinx, Mar 3, 2009.

1. Scarecrow03

Scarecrow03 Road Train Member

Sep 27, 2006
    In Your Head
    I've heard of the Smith System and one time had to drive around in a company van with everyone from that company's orientation class (including the safety guy leading the orientation) acting it out. We had to call out loud all that we saw. Things like, "There's a stale green light up ahead, I'm gonna cover my break and anticipate the red light." Or, "I see a car coming up to that side street. I wanna make sure they see me." Yadda, yadda, yadda. The guy who led the exercise would "grade" us and how much stuff we called out would decide how many videos we had to watch when we got back to the terminal. It was all a bunch of horse hockey.

I can certainly see the benefit of this system for new drivers. I know it helped me become the professional I am today, but a new driver shouldn't come on here and try to tell an experienced hand with years and years of experience how to be a safer driver. No offense, Strawberry, but your 0-1 year experience isn't nearly enough to come on here and tell those with more time on the road than I have how to be a safer driver.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. StrawberryWine_SC

StrawberryWine_SC Light Load Member

Feb 8, 2009
    Williamston, SC

Funny. No I didn't get the sticker.(they had those LOL) I as taught it, I learned it, and I apply it, everyday!

4. StrawberryWine_SC

Feb 8, 2009
    Williamston, SC

That's where you're wrong, Scarecrow. I'm not trying to tell y'all how to become safer drivers. I'm not even trying to tell y'all how to drive. SO BACK OFF! I'm agreeing with henry and his post about the SMITH system. SO MIND YOUR LANE, DRIVER, AND I'LL MIND MINE! THIS STRAWBERRY_WINE HAS MORE BITE THEN YOU THINK.

5. Scarecrow03

Sep 27, 2006
    In Your Head
    Wow, could you be any more hostile?

Don't get your panties in such a wad. It is what it is. You don't have enough experience to be telling anyone how to drive. I don't care what you say.

henry Thanks this.
  6. henry

henry Bobtail Member

Mar 28, 2009
    Tucson,AZ
    well f##$ imo some of these guys that i see driving like they are hot S!## with there 2+ years exp need to go back to school, I dont think that is a bad thing when some one who has just come out of a school can spot other drivers bad habits and can also apply what they have learned its common sense not experience

StrawberryWine_SC Thanks this.
  7. StrawberryWine_SC

Feb 8, 2009
    Williamston, SC

You deserve it. Call me hostle. I don't care. I'm not a sweet strawberry, never claimed to be. I'M NOT TELLING YOU HOW TO DRIVE. GET OVER YOURSELF. LIKE I SAID, MIND YOUR LANE, DRIVER. AND I'LL MIND MINE! YOU'RE REALLY NOT WORTH MY TIME ANYMORE. BACK OFF!!!!!:biggrin_25510:

Thank you Henry!:biggrin_25519:

8. MrMustard

MrMustard Road Train Member

Dec 11, 2008
    Dayton, Ohio
    I think this is the wrong attitude to have. The company makes us retake that course every year. They know you know the material, the class hasn't changed much in the last 50 years. The idea is making sure those 5 keys are on your mind at all times. That's the only way the Smith System works, if you are using it. They want to make sure you have those 5 keys on the top of your mind every time you get behind that wheel. The Smith System saves lives. I don't think it's horse hockey. In the last 12 years it has kept me out of bad situations far more times than i can remember.

StrawberryWine_SC Thanks this.
  9. Scarecrow03

Sep 27, 2006
    In Your Head
    FYI, the more I'm told to do something, the less likely I am to do it.

Got anything else to say in all caps?

10. Red Fox

Red Fox Road Train Member

Jan 26, 2009
    Acworth, Ga.
  11. henry

henry Bobtail Member

Mar 28, 2009
    Tucson,AZ
    whats the name of that animale that is just as stubborn as you I think its called a JACKa$S!!:biggrin_25525: HAHA

Scarecrow03 Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.