Driving straight trucks for experience

Discussion in 'Canadian Truckers Forum' started by El_turco_12, Feb 18, 2022.

1. El_turco_12

El_turco_12 Bobtail Member

Apr 8, 2021
    Hey guys, am getting a job as a straight truck driver even though I have a AZ license and I can't keep job searching for inexperience AZ driver position, now getting a straight truck job and I still wanna drive tractor trailer but will truck companies accepts applicants with straight trucks experience landing a local AZ city driving or something else?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Peplow

Peplow Light Load Member

Mar 28, 2010
    Ontario

Depending on the straight truck job, you might be better of forgetting about AZ altogether.

4. classicxl

classicxl Medium Load Member

Dec 16, 2006

In the old days many drivers started off driving smaller trucks and then moving up . I drove a freightliner fl80 straight truck with a bunk on the back running in the GTA and us .Now a days i think most of the large companies Dz experience isn’t going to count for anything . Also i’ve found out a lot of DZ local jobs in GTA pay close or more as a local Az regular gig .Vac truck ,dump trucks and roll off jobs for example can easily pay $30 plus a hour the problem every one wants experience for each specific job. if your lucky and land a union DZ job working for a town or city you can make over $30 a hr and have a nice pension at the end .Having A Az doesn’t always mean more money it just gives you more options

Last edited: Feb 19, 2022
  5. classicxl

Dec 16, 2006
  6. uncleal13

uncleal13 Road Train Member

Apr 9, 2009
    Humboldt, Sk
    Use to be almost required to do two years straight truck before anyone would let you do semi. I did about 3 years straight, then got lucky. Guy I worked for expanded and got a single axle Hino and a 24’ pup. I got my semi license using that.

7. ProfessionalNoticer

ProfessionalNoticer Road Train Member

Apr 25, 2021
    I started off with straight trucks and worked my way into pulling trailers then into semi units. Construction companies are a good place to start.

8. kranky1

kranky1 Road Train Member

Sep 16, 2015
    Ontario, Canada
    Like this poster says, you can make more money with a straight truck than a highway tractor. Somebody has to go out and bump a couple dozen docks a day so those other idiots get to be truck drivers. Lord knows they can’t do it.

9. classicxl

Dec 16, 2006

100% agree just because you have a Az and can pull around a trailer doesn’t mean we get paid anymore then a straight truck or any other DZ type truck .Hell even a smaller cube van delivery driver probably makes just as much as a local tractor trailer driver pulling a dry van or reefer around

10. El_turco_12

El_turco_12 Bobtail Member

Apr 8, 2021
    I like the fact that with an AZ license, I can become an Owner Operator, that's my goal, become independent, plus I wanna save at least $100,000 to have get U.S E2 Visa in order to do business in U.S, I wanna do business in Upstate NY,

11. '88K100

'88K100 Road Train Member

Aug 23, 2020
    Straight truck experience is excellent
    :pThe driver in this truck on a ice road,,sorry, no drama, he was given basic 30 minutes instruction then on short and long haul. It’s a straight truck (Manual transmission, air brakes, single sleeper berth) and the guy had 3 years driving a car.
    2 months later I took him on 16 hour run to get his AZ and turned him loose again. All the drivers I trained got about the same amount of training. No issues and they all ran steady up the North shore on 17

Attached Files:

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.