Driving test

Discussion in 'US Xpress' started by Roadie363, Feb 21, 2011.

1. Roadie363

Roadie363 Light Load Member

Sep 23, 2007
    Tulsa, Ok
    Headed to Dallas tomorrow to start orientation Wed. I have some previous experience tho its been awhile. It is good enough tho that I won't be going out with a trainer. I am wondering what the driving eval is like for experienced drivers. Pretrip? Backing, 45's, 90, etc? Road test I assume they get you out on the interstate and some city?
    Appreciate any info, hope to meet some of you all soon!
    Cheers

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Marksteven

Marksteven Road Train Member

Apr 24, 2009
    Bumble Fxxx
    I will give you this little tip: when you go out on your road test, completely forget that someone is in the jump seat next to you. just relax and do your own thing, be safe and it will work out. make sure you use good following distances and signal all your intentions. as far as backing, either you have it or you dont, just dont get fustrated which makes it worse. if you miss/grind a gear dont cuss and get fustrated, thats newbie behavior. just act like your an experienced driver and it will work out. good luck

4. Eagle_Eye

Eagle_Eye Medium Load Member

Sep 26, 2010
    ClarksvilleTennesse
    I agree 100% if you worry about them you make mistakes. Also if they get in your mirrors or line of sight tell them to move. You are in charge of that truck not him.

5. red61949

red61949 Bobtail Member

Feb 21, 2011
    Does anyone know if US Express Has a terminal or drop yard off of I20 in central MS?

6. Poobah

Poobah Light Load Member

Jun 23, 2009
    Arizona

What they said. It will probably be the easiest road test you'll ever have.

The road tests are given by other USX drivers who are paid $5 or $10 for each test they administer in their truck. Pre-trip is likely just verbal. Backing is probably only a straight, maybe an off-set, likely won't have to worry about 45 or 90. Both times I did it (once in Colton, once in Irving) the tester took two drivers at a time. If you volunteer to go first you may even only have to pull forward and then straight back into the same spot! The second driver will have to demonstrate his backing skills by backing into whatever spot is available when you both return to the yard.

At Irving you could likely get on the Loop12 for several miles after leaving the yard, then do 5 or 10 minutes of city/industrial area driving, pull to the side of the road to switch drivers and then head back to the yard via a similar route.

Conversation with the tester was comfortable and relaxed, and at the end of orientation you get a certificate signed by the tester indicating you passed. Really not much to worry about Roadie. The thing that I saw cause folks the most trouble was the physical! Not because it's difficult, but because they jacked up their heart rate and blood pressure by drinking too much coffee that morning. Even if you think that would never be a problem for you, it is still a good idea to fast that morning (first day of orientation)if you can.

Also, since you'll probably be taking the road test in an existing driver's truck, it's likely to be an automatic. So, no worries there, even if you've been off the road for awhile.

Roadie363 Thanks this.
  7. Roadie363

Sep 23, 2007
    Tulsa, Ok
    Thanks all for the info, I really appreciate the info. Poobah, really good info, and ya, been off the road for 2 and a half yrs, so you can see my apprehension of first time back in a truck getting an eval!

Poobah Thanks this.
  8. Poobah

Poobah Light Load Member

Jun 23, 2009
    Arizona

No need to be too apprehensive, Roadie. When I was in orientation at Irving last Sept., the ratio of experienced drivers to new drivers was about 4 to 1, so I suspect you'll have lots company in similar circumstances.

One thing you may want to question Dodd about - assuming he is still conducting the class. In our class he repeatedly said that following orientation we would be routed home to pick up our gear. That never happened for myself and two other drivers I met there and kept in touch with. One got so frustrated with the lack of communication he turned in his truck three weeks after leaving orientation. It took me five weeks and even then I was only able to p/u my TV, fridge, microwave and clothes because my wife was able to meet me at a TS while I was passing through on the way to LA! Calls to Chattanooga seemed to be the only thing that brought any kind of response.

You may notice in class that Dodd will frequently say: "...but I'll get back to that later on..." That too may or may not happen. It could be helpful to keep track of those times if it concerns an issue you really want a definitive answer to. Overall though, Dodd is a very pleasant and affable fellow and does alot to make orientation a favorable experience. And I think its hard to beat USX in terms of the equipment and technology they make available for their drivers.

Roadie363 Thanks this.
  9. musicgal

musicgal Road Train Member

Mar 8, 2010
    Carthage, Missouri
    Good luck with Orientation. It really is a breeze. Make sure and say "HI" to Dodd from Anna, Craig, and Anne.

10. Roadie363

Sep 23, 2007
    Tulsa, Ok
    Thanks Musicgal, I appreciate the comment. We'll see ya out there!

11. NoCoCraig

NoCoCraig Road Train Member

Nov 7, 2010
    Chattanooga, Tennessee
    As far as a trainer if you have past experience, I just met a guy in Tunnel Hill who had experience but it had been a couple of years. They sent hi out for a week and then he upgraded.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.