Driving With Feet On The Dash?

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by Mohtrucker, Oct 21, 2019.

1. Dockbumper

Dockbumper Road Train Member

Apr 29, 2020
    What did they want you to wear? A skirt and high heels? : )

tommymonza and Flashdrive7 Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Flashdrive7

Flashdrive7 Medium Load Member

Apr 24, 2015
    West Coast
    I only stayed with them a few months. The day I quit I walked into the branch office in my black Resistol that was twenty five years old, and a four inch wide brass buckle with the iconic End of the Trail image on it I'd bought at the National Cowboy Hall of Fame. I rodeoed a bit as a young guy, but never won a buckle. Anyway I strode into the managers office and layed my resignation on his desk. Nobody gave me a second look.

Last edited: May 31, 2020
  4. MACK E-6

MACK E-6 Moderator Staff Member

Sep 19, 2005
    Baltimore, MD
    Oh, the humanity...

5. TravR1

TravR1 Road Train Member

Nov 9, 2017
    TX
    Track pants and flip flops, probably.

6. Gliding ProStar

Gliding ProStar Heavy Load Member

Nov 12, 2016
    Waxahachie, Texas
    I had never seen this thread before yesterday and I read all of the post. Then, as I was driving on I-35 in Southern Minnesota this afternoon I drove up next to a System flatbed with a
    40-something white guy behind the wheel. Birkenstock sandals on the effing dash. Cruise control set on 65 and the seat all the way back.

When I am driving I barely take my hand off of the shifter. I always drive in boots and never shoes let alone sandals. I drive with a purpose. Not just pointing the truck in the direction I need to go.

foggy and MACK E-6 Thank this.
  7. Midwest Trucker

Midwest Trucker Road Train Member

Aug 31, 2018
    Gotta love this professional.

8. Flashdrive7

Apr 24, 2015
    West Coast
    I don't like sandals, unless I'm at the beach. I do drive in sneakers occasionally. As for driving with my hand on the shifter, I keep in mind the words of my instructor in driving School. "Hand on the shifter only when shifting"

9. Gliding ProStar

Gliding ProStar Heavy Load Member

Nov 12, 2016
    Waxahachie, Texas
    I don't keep my hand on the shifter once I get into 17th or 18th. I was using that as a metaphor. Unless I am driving down the interstate my hand is normally on the shifter. I have an 18 speed so my hand is always on the shifter flipping the splitter.

Like you, I drive in my sneakers every once in a while but never sandals or flip flops. I see too many drivers in open toe shoes.

10. Flashdrive7

Apr 24, 2015
    West Coast
    Good deal. There are a few times when I do drive with my hand on the stick. Going through little towns. Dealing with locals who pull out of parking lots into the street, running stop signs while right turning etc. I want to be able to downshift at quick time. And one other reason which isn't really important. Going through little towns people watch us. Kids, teenagers, senior citizens. Most of them expect to see a truck driver with his hand on the shift. I give them what they want. And I wave to them.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.