Driving without sleep

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by GOD & COUNTRY, Apr 8, 2018.

1. GOD & COUNTRY

GOD & COUNTRY Bobtail Member

Jan 21, 2018
    Up at 9:30 this morning, had to wait to drop a trailer at 10:00 pm then have a load to pick and drive 10 hours tonight. Laying down not able to sleep for 4 hours. Any suggestions on staying attentive and alert?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. fargonaz

fargonaz Road Train Member

Feb 9, 2015
    Mesa, AZ
    I use caffine. Also, I always take a nap,usually an hour, about the time the sun comes up.

GenericUserName and GOD & COUNTRY Thank this.
  4. Muddydog79

Muddydog79 Heavy Load Member

Apr 14, 2016
    2 monsters, and 2 five hour extra strength energys. Turn the radio up or talk trash on the cb.

5. STexan

STexan Road Train Member

Oct 3, 2011
    Longview, TX
    We have XM radio but even still, I listen to good audiobooks on much of those nights when they come up. These (action drama 'faction' books like the Scot Harvath series that can be found on Audible)

seem to keep me alert and involved for the duration I'm listening to them. I download them to my phone then play through radio bluetooth.

Also, keep some Cuties or Halos tangerines nearby. They're easy to peel, tasty, and give a bit of a energy boost.

Last edited: Apr 8, 2018
    Blackshack46 and GOD & COUNTRY Thank this.
  6. buddyd157

buddyd157 Road Train Member

May 25, 2017
    under a shade tree
    geez if i was up at 9:30 Am, half the day went by. i get up at 4 AM when i am not working, which is sundays and monday later at night. i always manage a nap. did you drink lots of coffee or other caffeinated drinks all day long?

did you eat heavy meals, (lots of carbs or sugars?)

all you can do is now, drink more caffeine. then try and take a power nap later, no more than 20 minutes, otherwise, you will wake up all groggy and miserable.

hagarcobra Thanks this.
  7. lilillill

lilillill Sarcasm... it's not just for breakfast

Nov 7, 2007
    Possum Booger, Alabama
    Every time you get sleepy because the government screwed up and got it wrong about when you needed sleep, call 202-456-1414 and ask to speak to the president.

Alternatively, you can leave him a message at 202-456-1111.

Tell him Barcode told you to call.

RedRover, taodnt, viserx and 6 others Thank this.
  8. Woodchuck88

Woodchuck88 Medium Load Member

Jan 4, 2017
    New York
    Sugar free monster, crank up the radio, Copenhagen wintergreen, and start talking crap on the CB.

Canadianhauler21 and RedRover Thank this.
  9. tucker

tucker Road Train Member

Jun 13, 2008
    IN
    But if you read his post it has nothing to do with elogs or hos, just a late drop time and that he woke up 12 hours before he needed to start work.
    Ideally he should have went out and partied all last night and went to bed about 11 oclock this morning.

I just hope if he gets tired he stops to sleep.

Woodys, Bean Jr., peterd and 3 others Thank this.
  10. Bakerman

Bakerman Road Train Member

Jan 27, 2013
    Phoenix, AZ
    Don't fall asleep!

Woodys Thanks this.
  11. ZVar

ZVar Road Train Member

Sep 10, 2010
    Flint, MI
    And that is the real answer right there. Coffee helps, I listen to comedy on Pandora for the drowsiness , but not tired times. If he gets tired he needs to park it and to hell with appointment times. If dispatch would have got a load earlier in the day it would not be an issue.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.