drop deck specs?

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by 379exhd, Dec 17, 2012.

1. 379exhd

379exhd Road Train Member

Jun 25, 2012
    rolling through hell
    Hi all,

Just decided to spec a couple new drops for the new year and had a few questions to see if theyre 1/2 right.

What i had them spec was a 48 and 51ft mac drop 40 deck height no cal legal (aint going there dont plan on selling either trailer for a while either hoping cali falls into the ocean by the time we sell them or trade them in) both will have a 10ft top deck
    4 sets of chain ties up top 16 pairs on the lower deck
    Double pipe spools
    Inraxx 300 suspension
    2 60" tool boxes
    Manual 4 bag dump, front lift axle, rear axle dump on seprate 4 pin
    Load gauge,
    9 leds per side, as many on the back plus to oversize strobes,
    Probably forgetting something but i think thats about it. Do you have any recommendations or anything you would change?

Thanks in advance

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. rank

rank Road Train Member

Feb 11, 2010
    50 miles north of Rochester, NY
    -sliding winches (take a good look at the tracks some are better than others)
    -check cross rail thickness and spacing
    -check warranty on electrical
    -ABS on only 1 axle if you can....that's one less to screw up.

don't see anything there about spread. Fixed, sliding front or sliding rear?

villageidiot and 379exhd Thank this.
  4. 379exhd

Jun 25, 2012
    rolling through hell
    Alright thank you. It'll be fixed spread we dont go to CA and no canada. Trailer is supposed to come standard with 12 sliding winches with the double L track if I remember right.

5. Largecar359

Largecar359 Road Train Member

Aug 13, 2011
    New Jersey
    I recently bought a reitonuer with the specs very close to yours. Mine is a 50ft drop deck. Mac is a great trailer also. I am very happy with the trailer (expensive). I changed the factory dump valve b/c the factory valve was restoring air too slow for some reason. They did refund my money which was very nice. Rank brings up a great point on the ABS. It was not an option for me to have one axle ABS. But MAC may allow you to do so. Sounds like your trailers will be sweet. Good luck man...post some pics when they come in. What's the lead time on them approx. 3 1/2 months?

379exhd Thanks this.
  6. 379exhd

Jun 25, 2012
    rolling through hell
    Them reitonuer's are pretty nice looking trailers but like you said $$$$. But the fact that they refunded you the money on the dump was a nice gesture. What are you typically hauling? I called the guy that was specing the trailer on the ABS he's gonna see if MAC will delete it on one axle. Thanks for wishin me luck and I'll get pics up as soon as we get em home and polished up for the first run but they're talking April delievery. Salesman said load king's backed up 16 months right now so I consider myself lucky.

7. Starline

Starline Medium Load Member

Jun 1, 2011
    Middle Tn
    A new slightly used trailer is worth more to you then a brand new one... You will be paying FET on a new trailer and you will take a hit on its value the first couple yrs. I'd stay away from 48' because they are becoming obsolete. I'd look at 51' with 40' 6" lower deck and container locks. And one final thing... No One ever plans on giving up their trailer, but you will one day.

8. Cummins_444

Cummins_444 Medium Load Member

Apr 28, 2008
    Northwest, IN
    My 2013 reitnouer big bubba 53ft step spread non ca legal. With 17 lights per side, tire inflation, air scale, dump valve, full coil package, two factory load levelers with fet out the door was 43,200. And I sold my dropmiser 2010 for 39,000 and it had no levelers. So I pretty much traded even up.

9. Largecar359

Largecar359 Road Train Member

Aug 13, 2011
    New Jersey
    If your keeping the trailers for a long time, then spec what you want and buy them new. Especially if you take care of your stuff. You don't wanna spend big dollars on someone else's trailer that has little dings and scratches on. The dealer does not reduce the price b/c of small problems they go by book value. I'm not saying always bye new you can find nice equipment that is used and taken care of. But there is nothing like a brand new polished to the max, extra light packaged trailer.
    Dealerships have been over pricing used trailers anyway.

Ruthless Thanks this.
  10. 379exhd

Jun 25, 2012
    rolling through hell
    That's what I was thinking. I can understand what Starline is saying about buying a lightly used trailer to eliminate the FET but there's a couple on truck paper that are still at the cost of new almost. And paying premium in this market plus the $3500+ on new rubber (the Michelin man love me:biggrin_25523:) it'd rather just bite the bullet and buy new. We do our best to take care of our equipment too which was another issue on it and take pride in it looking good. So we were pretty much thinking just bite the bullet and buy a couple that were brand new. Takes the fear of not knowing what of damage the last owner could've done to the trailer as well.

11. Jacoooooooo

Jacoooooooo Heavy Load Member

Oct 20, 2013
    Hi guys.
    Just specd a 53’ drop deck from transcraft (combo alu/steel) and the quote I got says my spec will weigh 12700lbs. Sounds heavy to me.
    What do you think?
    Options include container locks, alu wheels and 2 tool boxes.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.