Dropped my XM subscription

Discussion in 'Trucking Electronics, Gadgets and Software Forum' started by Flashdrive7, Apr 2, 2020.

1. Brandt

Brandt Road Train Member

Sep 17, 2012
    I had XM when it first came out. Then quite and went to buy my own music and podcast. Then started to pay for it again and now driving company truck and they pay for it.

The one big advantage SirusXm has today. The cell phone laws. If we use cell phone to change podcast or music and we get caught it a crazy ticket. I like the news channel and talk shows but satellite radio was so much better when it was XM. Thay had good talk shows, so much stuff is now just on internet. Anyone listen to Phil Hendrie ? He was on radio and XM but now he on podcast only. He has the most cazy show you could listen to.

gentleroger Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Brandt

Brandt Road Train Member

Sep 17, 2012
    This is a special antenna bracket for the Freightliner Cascadia. It hard to find, it screws into the mirror mount on the passenger door. You can feed the cable thru the bracket with a little work, also and it has foam/rubber pad so it won't rub the paint off. I almost never lose satellite signal.
    Freightliner SiriusXM Truck Antenna Mount

4. Timin770

Timin770 Road Train Member

May 27, 2011
    Canton, GA
    WSB in Atlanta aired Phil Hendrie for about 6 months in the early-mid 90's. He was a riot. I listened to him late into the night

Brandt Thanks this.
  5. Central_Scrutinizer

Central_Scrutinizer Light Load Member

Aug 30, 2019
  6. Studebaker Hawk

Studebaker Hawk Road Train Member

Oct 18, 2010
    NW Indiana
    I jumped all over XM when the rollout was delayed. They were supposed to start broadcasting the week of 9/11. Delayed it until November 2001. Liked it so much I bought stock in the company, made a little money.
    Then the merger. One of the costs they didn't count on was the licensing fee, which they break out as a different line item. Once the music business made them pay the fees, they just cut short the programming on a shorter loop, that is why you hear the same stuff over and over.
    Some of the channels are owned and programmed by various sponsors, the Old Radio stuff, Dave Ramsey's channel for example, which he splits with Glenn Beck.
    I dumped them last year after the renewal game, higher prices etc. I can get an unlimited variety of content via streaming sources, I happen to like TuneIN radio. Put up with the ads, but the choices are enormous.
    Technology marches on....

7. scottied67

scottied67 Road Train Member

Mar 14, 2010
    california norte
    I joined Sirius back in December 2005 in preparation for the big 010606 premiere of Howard Stern. I recall he said the subscription price was going to be locked in at $13 bucks month forever. Steadily, the subscription has risen over the years.

I'm no longer otr so I dropped it last month as well.

8. djshelleyshell

djshelleyshell Bobtail Member

Apr 27, 2020
    I regret every day not buying the lifetime subscription when they first started.

LoSt_AgAiN Thanks this.
  9. longhaultransport

longhaultransport Light Load Member

Dec 25, 2009
    West Central, Florida
    Yeah, me too. I think it as $300, but I didn't think it (or me) would last a lifetime.

10. Ridgeline

Ridgeline Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Michigan
    It was then it became something like $690 and then it ended.

I was under the impression that when the FTC gave them permission to merge, the packages would stay the same with slight increases over the next 10 years. I have a life time on a few units for commercial use then they tried to terminate all the contracts at once and put the units on a higher monthly rate.

11. Studebaker Hawk

Studebaker Hawk Road Train Member

Oct 18, 2010
    NW Indiana
    There was a giant sized loophole they put in that offer. You could only have up to five radio's on the account. Every time you changed radio serial number for an update, or traded a car or truck in or spilled coffee on it and had to change the number counted towards the 5. They got out of it fairly quickly for most people.

scottied67 Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.