Dropping neck on mechanical DD

Discussion in 'Heavy Haul Trucking Forum' started by nikmirbre, Jan 23, 2018.

1. nikmirbre

nikmirbre Road Train Member

Jul 27, 2011
    High Point NC
    I also learned on this load that if your straps get loose while going down the road, you better get to em quick!!!! I used 4 straps on the tank. I had 2 hooked on the frame and 2 looped through the hooks under the outriggers.... the two hooked on the frame came loose at various times during the trip....and when they come loose the unhooked from the frame......

cke Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. kylefitzy

kylefitzy Road Train Member

Aug 12, 2007
    Kansas city,Mo
    What’s your ride height in the rear. It seems crazy high in this picture.

snowman_w900, cke and Oxbow Thank this.
  4. nikmirbre

Jul 27, 2011
    High Point NC
    I purposely had it that high. Trying to play around with the different settings. The tank wasn’t heavy at all.

Also while I’m thinking about it.... when loading heavy do I want to preset my ride height high and then lower it as needed?

5. kylefitzy

kylefitzy Road Train Member

Aug 12, 2007
    Kansas city,Mo
    I generally run with the suspension set in about the middle unless I’m loading something real tall and I’m trying to keep the height down.

nikmirbre and Oxbow Thank this.
  6. m16ty

m16ty Road Train Member

Jan 22, 2016
    No reason to adjust higher for heavier weights. Unless you exceed the weight capacity of the suspension, your ride height will remain constant, regardless of weight.

kylefitzy, ChaoSS, cke and 2 others Thank this.
  7. nikmirbre

Jul 27, 2011
    High Point NC
    I’m kinda afraid to put weight on it with the debacle I had with the first load.....it’s like the weight didn’t distribute to all 3 axles in the rear. I know we discussed the shims on the flip... I’ll take some pics tomorrow afternoon. It seems to be even on the back.

Could it be shocks or something?? Idk where to start looking.... I am gonna replace the shocks because they are a bit worn. The ones on the flip are new

cke Thanks this.
  8. m16ty

m16ty Road Train Member

Jan 22, 2016
    Never messed with a flip much. On our 3 axle trailers, one is a fixed 3 axle, the other has a air-lift on the 3rd axle.

nikmirbre, cke and Oxbow Thank this.
  9. johndeere4020

johndeere4020 Road Train Member

Jan 1, 2010
    Ohio
    Elaborate on not distributing.

snowman_w900, SAR and cke Thank this.
  10. nikmirbre

Jul 27, 2011
    High Point NC

My 2nd load was a machine from Savannah port. It was 64000#. When I put the machine on, it was 16ft long and I put it a little but in the rear of the 1/2 way point of my trailer(I have 3 axles). I can't remember my exact weights but I know on the Tridem I was 54500. I thought my tires needed air when I left the port after loading. I checked em and they had more pressure than normal. So the sagging tires wasn't because of low air.

My air bags weren't aired all the way up so all the pressure was on the tires. I ended up blowing 2 tires. 1 on the road and the other didn't "blow" but it wasn't pretty at all. I called road service and had tire changed and they tried to get the air bags to "pop" into the position they're supposed to be in but they wouldn't which cause issues with the other tire the rest of the trip.......

Edit to add: the airbags did pop into position about 2 hours after I got unloaded.

Last edited: Mar 16, 2018
    snowman_w900 and cke Thank this.
  11. ChaoSS

ChaoSS Road Train Member

Sep 20, 2014
    Did you try getting weights axle by axle?

nikmirbre Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.