1. Newbie2011

Newbie2011 Bobtail Member

Sep 9, 2011
    Im looking to get my CDL. I applied for this add in the local paper for DRS. I thought it was a trucking school but im not sure that it is? After reading there site I came to the conclusion I think its a program that sets you up with a company that will pay for schooling? But not sure? I filled out there sign up form and was accepted. They sent me a paper in my email to Esign for drug testing information and what not. I signed it and sent it back. That was the other day. They called me today and said everything looks great and i just have to give the guy a call to see what company i want to go with and school. But i want to find out some more information before continuing with them if its a scam or what it is? I cant call them till tuesday since I work and dont get home till there office is closed.

I am also in talks with Transport Tech in Brookville, PA. I have to call them monday. Are they a good school to go with? And cant they find a company to pay for your school, as long as you sign a contract to drive with them for a year or two?

Hope this all makes sense.

here is the DRS SITE: cdltrainingnow.com/

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. FwL

FwL Medium Load Member

Aug 30, 2011
    Sandpoint, ID
    What kind of money are they asking you for?

Seems to me they're only doing something you could be doing yourself.

Last edited: Sep 10, 2011
  4. Newbie2011

Newbie2011 Bobtail Member

Sep 9, 2011
    They are not asking for any money. When the guy left a message on my answering machine he just said everything looks great and for me to give him a call to discuss what company i want to go with and schooling.

5. FwL

FwL Medium Load Member

Aug 30, 2011
    Sandpoint, ID
    Well... I'm pretty green myself, but my impression of this industry so far is that nobody in this business is out to do you any favors and nobody is in it for free.

My advice is to be careful and watch your step.

6. cmbapro4

cmbapro4 Bobtail Member

Mar 11, 2012
    meadville pa
    i went to transport tech,and they lie to get you to come to the school i had a dui and lost lic.for a few years.and they told me it dont matter ,they did get my cdl.but,they are state funded so they just want paid.so i listen to them and now i have a no good cdl and the trainer we had sat there and let us find out for are self,even if we didnt get it.fail test frist time and spent 7hr to pass the next time.then took test and passed.i just feel they just want me there to get paid becase 10 apps and never a call back,but i should of look into it more,and most all trucking co.wont tell me why there no even going to give me a chance. so if you have something in past check before you even sign up for school.i not saying they are bad school butthey dont tell you every thing,i went to one in meadville pa that shut down now,becase of funding

7. DesertPunk

DesertPunk Bobtail Member

Mar 11, 2012
    Maryland
    My very first trying-to-get-cdl experience was with DRS. They act as a middle party getting you hooked up with one of three companies. They charge you $200-some just to place with someone you could've called yourself. It's practically a scam. I was young and uneducated enough about trucking back then to actually pay them. Then they refused to answer my calls. I finally got through when I called from a different number. The person I had talked to magically quit, so they said they had no info on me. Then the story was that no company wanted me and the money is non-refundable.

I emailed threatening lawsuit and to call their state police, especially after their address was in a field somewhere by railroad tracks. And no, there was no building. Just grass. The whole thing was very sketchy from the start. They sent me a check for my money and that was that. There's quite a lot of the same story I just told you all over the net. Stay away from DRS.

8. cmbapro4

cmbapro4 Bobtail Member

Mar 11, 2012
    meadville pa
    they never ask me for money,becase the state funded my cdl school,but it dont do any good when noone wants to hire me becase,of passed dui in 1996 and i do online apps. and the one i didnt put dui.and they want me to call but i lied just to see,but im trying i might get a break.roehl prehired me,but just tryed them and they didnt give me answer.so i called them and they said cus cant get into canada,becase of dui and ask how long they go back and she said we drive 48 and canada and wont answer me i said whatever good by.

9. DesertPunk

DesertPunk Bobtail Member

Mar 11, 2012
    Maryland
    Call Stevens Transport. They seemed to be pretty forgiving of things far in the past. The only people I saw them turn away were felons. I enjoyed my time in their school. Hotel was pretty decent too.

10. Bigriggin93

Bigriggin93 Bobtail Member

Aug 26, 2019
    I've been on the road 6 years now, noone is going to give you anything. If they offer its strictly because they get something out of it. Even the "state funded" programs are full of crap. If you can afford it, go to a tech school and get your cdl then find a no experience mega company that will hire and train you. Get your exp in without being under a contract and go from there.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.