Dry Van Hauler Thinking About Switching to Tanker

Discussion in 'Tanker, Bulk and Dump Trucking Forum' started by Cobrawastaken, Aug 5, 2020.

1. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    When I pulled tankers, detention pay started the minute you logged arriving at a shipper or receiver.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Chinatown

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Home - Liquid Trucking : Liquid Trucking
    https://liquidtrucking.com
    Jul 28, 2020 · Liquid Trucking is a Top 30 Bulk Liquid Carrier in the US Founded in 1989, family owned Liquid Trucking, has grown to one of the 30 largest tank trucking companies in the United States. We pride ourselves on providing the highest quality liquid transport services out of the midwest, servicing the continental US and Canada.

4. Redtwin

Redtwin Road Train Member

Aug 17, 2012
    PBC, FL
    I don't know what detention policy is at Indian River. I've put in for it, but got nothing.

Cobrawastaken and bentstrider83 Thank this.
  5. Northern Nomad

Northern Nomad Light Load Member

Apr 1, 2020
    The frozen north
    Here at the Savage Services terminal in Maine where I work, we run 13 speeds and we get detention after 90 minutes. We haul everything from hazardous and non hazardous liquids, dry bulk, dry van and reefer. Savage has terminals all over the country, and I’m not sure how the other terminals are operated, but I have nothing but good things to say about the Auburn terminal.
    Make the switch. As another person said, you can always go back to dry van. You won’t regret it.

6. Chinatown

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    How much experience does Savage require?

Cobrawastaken Thanks this.
  7. Northern Nomad

Apr 1, 2020
    The frozen north
    To my knowledge it varies terminal to terminal. The one where I work requires 2 years, but I’m not sure about the others. With 1 year and a clean record, I’m sure they’d at least give an interview.

Chinatown and Cobrawastaken Thank this.
  8. Cobrawastaken

Cobrawastaken Medium Load Member

Apr 20, 2018
    Tulsa, OK
    They have Macks all over the website. Is that all they have? I know it's silly, but I'm particular about what kind of truck I have to drive. Don't like freightliners and macks are only marginally better IMO.

9. Northern Nomad

Apr 1, 2020
    The frozen north
    Most terminals, but not all, have Mack’s, but we have Kenworth T800’s and I have the only Freightliner.

10. Speed_Drums

Speed_Drums Road Train Member

Dec 26, 2014
    Security Check Required
    Fleenor | Home | 800.775.1245

A full fleet of W900 KWhoppers. Dry Van, reefer, flatbed and tanks.

11. kemosabi49

kemosabi49 Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Jan 13, 2013
    SW Arkansas
    I don't know about food service tankers but in the chemical tanker segment paying detention, or demurrage as is it called, is expected by the shippers and consignees. Depends on the company how they pay it but the customers are charged after 2 hrs, 24 hrs a day until you on done. Best I ever got was around 33 hrs. Made more on that then I did on the load. I've heard some companies paying their drivers as little as $10 an hour for this. I worked for QC and got $17 and hour and at Dana was paid $30 and hour. That's as a company driver.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.