Dry Van or Reefer?

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by TDog109, Jun 30, 2012.

1. Lonesome

Lonesome Mr. Sarcasm

Dec 15, 2007
    Northern Indiana
    That's funny!
    I've pulled a few reefer loads in my career, and EACH one had to be handled by the driver(ME!) Stacked 5 high on the pallet? No we need them 4 high. Wrong size pallet? Restack the whole load on OUR pallets. 5 minutes late? Go to the back of the line, we'll call you when we're ready. 30 minutes early? We'll call you when we're ready.....

buddyvuk and RizenPhoenix Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. RizenPhoenix

RizenPhoenix Road Train Member

Oct 31, 2008
    Santa Cruz, CA
    +1 on the reefer dead battery trick. That sure does come in handy

Dennis_Miller and buddyvuk Thank this.
  4. Rich_Trucking

Rich_Trucking Light Load Member

Dec 11, 2012
    Hello!
    I am located in Sacramento, CA and I want to do long haul from CA to East Coast and back.
    I'm stuck between a rock and a hard place because I don't know which trailer to buy a reefer or a flatbed. It will be my first trailer. I have a truck paid off. Im just getting started
    Any Advice will be appretiated.

Thanks in advance!!

buddyvuk Thanks this.
  5. cuzzin it

cuzzin it Road Train Member

Jan 19, 2008
    Berea, KY
    i prefer reefer

buddyvuk Thanks this.
  6. chompi

chompi Road Train Member

Jun 21, 2008
    Deland, FL
    Rich if you want my advice I would say reefer. You have many more other options for loads with a reefer trailer. You can haul anything refrigerated and anything dry. Also if you are looking to run coast to coast, produce runs out of Stockton, CA and also lots of produce out Washington, Yakima etc.. These produce loads run a good part of the year and are often designated to the Walmarts on the east coast. You need to stay up on your rates though. Produce changes frequently and you always want to get and give a good rate. I am pretty sure the OOIDA website has daily produce rates. Your only other challenge is going to be lining up something to get back to the west coast for another produce run.

buddyvuk Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.