dry van versus reefer

Discussion in 'Roehl' started by avenger79, May 7, 2016.

1. born&raisedintheusa

born&raisedintheusa Road Train Member

Sep 20, 2012
    What it really comes down to is personal driver preference.

God bless every American and their families! God bless the U.S.A.!

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Captain Zoom

Captain Zoom Road Train Member

Oct 29, 2011
    Indianapolis, IN
    I'm about to move from a dry van mega carrier to a smaller reefer carrier. Lots of dry van hassles are created or exacerbated by an indifferent carrier, and many reefer hassles can be ameliorated by a decent company that realizes the driver is a human being and not just another piece of equipment.

Then again, the reverse is also true. Only way to be sure is to take the advice above and give it a try to see what fits YOU. Only thing I would add is don't move around TOO much. If you do, you're gonna burn for it--believe me; I know what I'm talking about. (Refer to my thread)

scottlav46 Thanks this.
  4. DsquareD

DsquareD Road Train Member

May 21, 2009
    Green Bay, WI
    Since we're in the Roehl section, here's something else to consider. Try all three. They have Van, Refrigerated, and Flatbed. If I had to do it over again that's what I would do.

Spend 6 months in each. Flatbed is the most work, but will probably keep you the busiest and pay the most. Start with van, then refrigerated, and finally flatbed. Since Van is the most popular and refrigerated the least, they shouldn't have a problem letting you switch from Van to refrigerated. Finally, they are always in need of good drivers for flatbed, so that should also be an easy step up for you and by then you will have a better feel for trucking and can more easily adapt to the rigors of load securement and tarping.

Hoot67, scottlav46 and Captain Zoom Thank this.
  5. Captain Zoom

Captain Zoom Road Train Member

Oct 29, 2011
    Indianapolis, IN
  6. avenger79

avenger79 Medium Load Member

Sep 13, 2010
    WIS
    wow thanks for all the great replies guys. lots of good thoughts here

DsquareD - that is pretty much what I was thinking of doing. starting out I was thinking Dry van as it sounds like the easiest to figure out.

I have driven before but it was many many years ago, everything is totally different now.

DsquareD Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.