DT12 vs 13 speed

Discussion in 'Schneider' started by PolishPrince, Feb 3, 2017.

Which one?

1. DT12

61.5%
  2. RT13

38.5%
  1. PolishPrince

PolishPrince Light Load Member

Jan 11, 2017
    Chicago
    How much less MPG are you guys getting in a 13 speed vs what you DT12 guys are getting.

Looking to find real world numbers of just how much difference in efficiency there is between the DT12 and the RT13 aka 13 speed.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. TennMan

TennMan Road Train Member

Sep 21, 2011
    Hazzard County Jail !!!!!
    Problem is everybody drives different.

Take me, no matter if I need to hurry or not I drive the speed limit.

Doesn't matter I'm about time management.

So my numbers will be way different than a driver who drives for economy. However that driver mpg depends on loads, terrain, weight, speed, wind, where fuel purchased, weather and other variables.

As for the 13 speed which is what I have. I believe you can only get those thru SFI on the KW and Petes.

If you're buying a truck from an outside vendor have them spec the most fuel efficient one they can and it'll probably be the auto.

An auto never misses a shift because you're tired.
    Never over revs.

Get the one you want.

I'd get the Auto but in the Volvo.

Last edited: Feb 3, 2017
    KB3MMX Thanks this.
  4. PolishPrince

Jan 11, 2017
    Chicago
    Im just curious how much of a drop it is from the auto to the 13 speed. I do prefer to be in control of every aspect of the truck but dont want to sacrifice a bunch of fuel to have that control either...

5. Home_on_wheels

Home_on_wheels Road Train Member

Apr 19, 2015
    Cruising the USA
    I have a 13spd. I'm old school. I drive by a boost gage and E.G.T. gage. Both are direct reading not hooked to the ECM. Keep boost 10 psi or below and EGTs below 500'. And yes all conditions listed above do have an impact on miles per gallon.

PolishPrince Thanks this.
  6. TennMan

TennMan Road Train Member

Sep 21, 2011
    Hazzard County Jail !!!!!
    You shift very rarely so the control isn't as great as you'd think.

Also you'll probably be in an auto for a year as a driver with sni so you'll have very limited experience with a 10 speed which is what sni company trucks are that aren't auto.

So with that said you'll have 0 exp with a 13 and your fuel economy would suffer.

Take your time, in the 18onths until you get to the point of buying things will change so much that today's info will be useless.

Bean Jr. and PolishPrince Thank this.
  7. Home_on_wheels

Home_on_wheels Road Train Member

Apr 19, 2015
    Cruising the USA
    TennMann, where can I find one of them 14 spd and who makes 'em??

8. russtrucker

russtrucker Road Train Member

Mar 27, 2012
    Central PA
    13 speed are more efficient than 10 speed. Less shifting, mostly requires flipping red splitter before going next gear. All depends how you drive, how the truck was speced. Having an auto would cost you problems with maintenance and computer on it since nearly a whole truck/even powertrain is hooked to computers. Can act up anytime and not being able to move.

9. PolishPrince

Jan 11, 2017
    Chicago
    Keep reading about the autos having trouble in snow and ice conditions...

I have more current experience in a 13 then anything else... But if they offer me an auto at sni then ill take it to test the waters.

And also i hear alot about crazy shifting in pulling up or down grades. where as in a 13 you find the gear and ride it out... shift when i want to... i do and will always prefer a 13... but if i can save a bunch of fuel in an auto well i think it makes good business sense to go with whatever leaves more money on the table.

Again i may be ahead of myself but i like to get informed and just keep updating myself...

10. PolishPrince

Jan 11, 2017
    Chicago
    THats what i keep thinking... i mean MPG are the name of the game, and i will always have my trucked speced with lower gear ratio in the axles and everything else... i will drive for fuel economy most of the time... so i really would prefer the time tested 13... but heck if i can get a 1-2 miles per every gallon from going auto... it makes the decision a lot harder

11. russtrucker

russtrucker Road Train Member

Mar 27, 2012
    Central PA
    If I had a w900L (my favorite truck as a example) with 550 hp cat with 13 speed, 3.08 rear axles, low pro 24.5. You can drive 70 at 1325 rpm and still get mid 6 mpg while driving 8H. Need climbing mountains go down 8L. Perfect for non aero truck without a need of auto. If a t660 but same powertrain, I would guarantee it would get 35% better with fuel mileage than W900.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.