Dt466 ipr valve or icp sensor

Discussion in 'International Forum' started by B77, Jun 30, 2020.

1. B77

B77 Light Load Member

Dec 16, 2010
    my truck is running again(but not good yet). After dealing with a clown mechanic. I started troubleshooting myself. After fixing some wiring and put the old ipr valve back on. My truck started again after 8 weeks. Now it isn’t running smooth. But if I hold the throttle around the 1500rpm. She stays running. But wants to shut itself of. Once in awhile. Shall I get a new ipr valve or can it be something else.

The dealer couldn’t read the truck because of datalink issues. But helped me where to look. The zero oil pressure I had(was a fuse on the power feed). I bought a new ipr valve from China but that one might not work.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Heavyd

Heavyd Road Train Member

Feb 4, 2009
    When the sensor goes, the ecm results to default values to keep the engine running, so a bad sensor will not cause it to sputter out.

jamespmack and QUALITYTRUCK Thank this.
  4. B77

B77 Light Load Member

Dec 16, 2010
    So it might be the ecm? Basically it starts now. And I have to give it throttle 1500 rpm or higher and it keeps going. But anything under that it wants to shut it self down

5. B77

B77 Light Load Member

Dec 16, 2010
    i Did found some info online. That a bad sensor can make it sputter out.

6. Heavyd

Heavyd Road Train Member

Feb 4, 2009
    Sounds more like a fueling issue or possible cam sensor. You have to realize, this isn't how I work or how I do my job. You are guessing and blindly throwing parts at it. I would never do that and would get fired pretty quickly. I understand you have a datalink problem and can't read codes or engine data from the ecm, but this is the proper way to continue to diagnose this. Your next step is to fix the datalink so you can properly read what is going on with the engine. ECMs are rarely bad and typically do not cause sputtering problems either. Either they work or they don't. If your engine has the compucheck fitting on the top of the fuel filter cap, you should be taking a mechanical fuel pressure reading from there. Should have about 60 psi of fuel pressure.

pushbroom, QUALITYTRUCK and B77 Thank this.
  7. B77

B77 Light Load Member

Dec 16, 2010
    I only bought an ipr valve. But it’s running now with the old one. Dealer mechanic thinks it’s the icp sensor. It should be an fuel issue. the laptop was reading fuel pressure

On one end it was reading way to high. Like4000psi. The other end was reading 900 psi. And both should be around 1200 psi.

8. Heavyd

Heavyd Road Train Member

Feb 4, 2009
    Again, you are looking at bad data. Those engines do not make fuel pressure that high. Only 60 psi. What you are probably talking about is ICP pressure which is actually oil pressure used to fire the fuel injectors. I read your readings before in your other post and didn't know how to respond because that made no sense to me. ICP pressure needed to start your engine is about 600 psi. The high pressure pump will produce 4000 psi when the IPR valve is full fielded. Not sure what you are talking about in regard to pressure at one end being 4000 and only 900 at the "other end".

jamespmack, B77 and pushbroom Thank this.
  9. B77

B77 Light Load Member

Dec 16, 2010
    Can’t remember what they’re all called. But the way. You write it down makes sense. I have to ask again. Basically the way it runs now it looks like it gets not enough fuel all the time. Starts a bit difficult, runs fine st the higher rpm low rpm it shuts off. Any help/input is welcome

10. B77

B77 Light Load Member

Dec 16, 2010
    I was taking info from a mechanic that didn’t had a clue what he was doing. Last thing he was blaming it on was bad compression in the engine. I will save you all the other drama he caused me

11. Heavyd

Heavyd Road Train Member

Feb 4, 2009
    Manual fuel pressure test is your next step. If your engine has the test fitting at the top the fuel filter cap, you can check there, if not, there is a schrader valve near the front the intake manifold at the left front of the engine.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.