Dt466 life expectancy

Discussion in 'International Forum' started by Thetrashnoob, May 16, 2020.

1. Thetrashnoob

Thetrashnoob Light Load Member

May 30, 2019
    How long could a 04 dt466 go before it would need to be rebuilt?
    I’m looking at a 04 with 500k miles ex dot plow truck. It’s cheap and I’d like to try to do some plowing for the state this winter.
    is 500k almost towards the end of its life?
    Thans

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Heavyd

Heavyd Road Train Member

Feb 4, 2009
    500k is upper for these, but so is 16-17 years of service too. All you can do is run it and see.

bzinger Thanks this.
  4. Thetrashnoob

May 30, 2019
    I’m considering it, I know with that many miles and it’s age it’s probably pretty worn out. I’ll have to get quotes to see how much it’ll cost to rebuild when it goes
    There’s 2 other trucks I’m looking at but they aren’t internationals.

5. Thetrashnoob

May 30, 2019
    Anyone have any experience with the 2014 Maxxforce dt? When I search it on google it comes up with Maxxforce engines and the lawsuits and whatnot. It appreats the dt is a 466 just with emissions equipment?

6. Mid-May Trucker

Mid-May Trucker Road Train Member

Oct 23, 2018
    What matters is how much they asking for it.

7. Thetrashnoob

May 30, 2019
    Asking 45,000 it’s a 2014 4300 with a hooklift system on it, plow and a salter. 170k miles

8. Albertaborn

Albertaborn Bobtail Member

Jun 5, 2020
    I just had 850 000km on mine with 22500hrs. Just heui stuff along the way

9. Thetrashnoob

May 30, 2019
    I’m still Considering the truck. I just priced a overhaul at a local shop for 7k. I’m just not sure how much life it has left before a rebuild is needed

10. TNgroanup

TNgroanup Bobtail Member

Jan 13, 2023
    I'm looking at an 02 bus with a dt466e that was just rebuilt. It had 258,000 miles on it. If it is rebuilt does that restart the clock on the engine? Is it like new? I know all the other components will have aged, but what is the expected life of a rebuild?

11. Heavyd

Heavyd Road Train Member

Feb 4, 2009
    I'll tell you a little story... Years ago we rebuilt a 466 for customer. He wanted a works kits installed, reman head and that's it, nothing else extra. About a week later he came back saying it had no power and he was really mad at us. Of course we looked at right away and we found the air to air hose had split open to cause no boost and therefore no power. All this guy kept saying, "This engine was just rebuilt, this engine was just rebuilt..." The air to air hose was not replaced at time of rebuild and it was fine when reassembled. He had a hard time understanding this hose was the point where the new parts ended and the old parts started and thought because he had a "rebuilt engine" that every single part under the hood was new and would never fail. So this is the big problem with "rebuilt engines". You can rebuild an engine a 1000 different ways. Some can include new turbo, new injectors, new pumps and so on. Others can only slap in new pistons and call it "rebuilt". In general, there are several seals and gaskets that never get touched during most rebuilds, such as front cover and rear structure stuff. Sensors and wiring harnesses are not touched either. Cam shafts and followers are generally not replaced. So it depends on what they replaced, and who did the work and what sort of warranty is available for that.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.