Due Diligence before buying used truck

Discussion in 'Trucks [ Eighteen Wheelers ]' started by AH180, Jan 16, 2022.

1. AH180

AH180 Bobtail Member

Jan 16, 2022
    Hello, I am new member and if this is the wrong section, I am sorry.

So I am looking to buy used truck and I have narrowed it down to a 2012-2014 Freightliner cascadia. The specifications of the truck is not as important as its condition. Although, I have worked in the industry for two years as a company driver, I am not at all well versed with the inner workings of trucks. That's why I am here. Obviously, before you purchase a used truck you check the truck to make sure it's in good shape and shouldn't need much/serious repairs before you can roll it onto the road. My question is, what should I be looking at? is there a checklist of some kind? I'll hire a mechanic, but still, I want to make sure I have done everything I could before I commit. For example, reading around the forums, I have already learned that you should look for history of maintenance.

Thanks.

truckdriver31 Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Siinman

Siinman Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2017
    Kansas City, MO.
    Search forum a lot of answers on this question as it has been asked a lot over time.

truckdriver31 Thanks this.
  4. JoeyJunk

JoeyJunk Road Train Member

Dec 31, 2010
    Washington, PA
    That age range is problematic. Even if the truck price fits your price range the repair costs down the road may not. All the due diligence in the world will not ensure you get a good one, especially with an emissions truck. Good luck.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2022
    truckdriver31, Catmando and LoneRanger Thank this.
  5. Arctic_fox

Arctic_fox Road Train Member

Sep 16, 2016
    For a case in point on that go check out my thread. I did everything "right" went to multiple places to inspect it. Oil samples, blowby and dynos. Truck passed it all with flying colors and ive had problems from literally day 1 and spent more on repairs then i did for the truck and STILL havent fully fixed it.

Old def trucks are junk. Unless your buying from an O/O with full recipts and a very recent emissions rebuild just go older. Emissions trucks WILL bankrupt you

6. AModelCat

AModelCat Road Train Member

Jul 7, 2015
    Canuckistan
    Myself, I'd make sure there are invoices and receipts. If the emission system hasn't had any recent maintenance or if the truck was on one of those stupid 50k mile oil change intervals I'd walk before spending any money inspecting it.

A thorough mechanical inspection and samples from coolant, engine oil, transmission and rear ends would not be a terrible idea. Better if the previous owner had samples pulled. I'm not sold on a dyno though to be honest since most of the places I've lived a dyno was hours away. Not practical.

7. truckdriver31

truckdriver31 Road Train Member

Sep 18, 2013
    run a rigdig report

8. Rideandrepair

Rideandrepair Road Train Member

Aug 8, 2015
    Why 12-14 Cascadia? Price range? Familiarity? Just curious. Driveline specs are most important. Some of the repairs can be $13k on the emissions. Seems to be the common number I’ve heard. That alone is a deal breaker for myself. Though others have been successful, mainly due to better mpg on the right combo. A Dealer can print the warranty records using a vin #. That’s a good place to start.

Siinman Thanks this.
  9. qak

qak Bobtail Member

Dec 22, 2009
    topeka ks
    Do NOT NOT NOT get a detroit in this year range you are asking for trouble. Get cummins only and if the fuel pump hasnt been replaced get it done before putting it on the road

10. qak

qak Bobtail Member

Dec 22, 2009
    topeka ks
    The only way is if the exhaust falls off

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

• Draft saved Draft deleted