Dui question

Discussion in 'Trucker Legal Advice' started by LAs2434, Oct 8, 2018.

1. LAs2434

LAs2434 Bobtail Member

Oct 8, 2018
    I was home over the weekend and ended up getting pulled over in my personal vehicle. Got dui and they gave a white sheet permit which indicates I can drive up to 30 days according to that paper. Does that permit allow me to only operate my personal vehicle or can I continue to operate my cmv. Please any help would be appreciated. Will be getting a lawyer on Tuesday.

Thank You

Cam Roberts Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Consult a lawyer to determine if your commercial license will be effected.
    No one here is qualified or knows the state your lic. In.

Wouldn't want to speculate.

jbatmick, misterG, Badmon and 4 others Thank this.
  4. DUNE-T

DUNE-T Road Train Member

May 10, 2015
    Detroit, MI
    What kind of job are you planning to get next?

dunchues, ZVar, mud23609 and 2 others Thank this.
  5. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    All stop. No CMV, NO Vehicle No nothing after the 30th day.

That permit is your one defense against arrest for this current 30 day time. Get a lawyer involved. Your license, the CDL is now at risk of suspension. Which will more likley than not create a unemployment for sometime and be a brand against your record from here on out.

Your lawyer is the number one priority. Do not forget to make arrangements to get around at home because I think after the 30th day on that permit paper you are not driving anytime soon. Or any trucking for months if not hireable for years.

I am not a lawyer, I don't pretend to be one.

Arkansas DUI's is a arrest, suspension, fines big time and especially forfieture of whatever vehicle you might be in. The state owns it now forever. It does not matter if you, your mom or wife owned it it's the state's now.

Those are my local laws vs DUI here at home. I keep drivers and vehicles to get around when I need to under medication which does create a DUI at a minimum should I try to go out on my own without a necessary time to withdrawal and clear the stuff out of the body.

Good luck to you.

Mattflat362, CrappieJunkie and baha Thank this.
  6. snowwy

snowwy Road Train Member

Jul 6, 2009
    That paper is your operators permit for 30 days. CDL included. After that. You have no license to drive ANYthing.

Depending on your state. You'll be able to drive cars again. But you won't be able to drive semi's for a year.
    Your regular license is governed by the state. So whatever timeframe your state suspends you for.
    Your cdl is governed by the feds. Your first offense is 1 year. No matter what state you live in. Your second offense is automatic revocation.

Having a cdl also disqualifies you from having the charge masked. Or lowered. So, having a lawyer in hopes of having it changed to wreckless driving or whatever. Is a no go. It's the same as doing traffic safety classes. A regular license can keep a moving violation off their record by attending a class. Cdl's are disqualified from that luxory.

It's VERY important to protect your cdl. That's your livelihood. Getting a moving violation. Is no big deal. Getting a dui. VERY BIG DEAL.

And don't think you can hide it from your job. Your company insurance does regular mvr checks.

Commercial Motor Vehicle (CMV) Operators and the Law

I"m not trying to be a downer here. But that's the realistic no lie answer.

I was in your shoes. 2 years after I got my cdl. But mine was a idiot cop. And never went to court. But I was out of work for 90 days. Standard suspension. It's also how long it took for the court date to drop the charge. My company allowed me to work for the 30 days. I collected unemployment for 90 days.

Last edited: Oct 8, 2018
    x1Heavy Thanks this.
  7. tucker

tucker Road Train Member

Jun 13, 2008
    IN
    The Holiday weekend....

8. Mr_Adrian70

Mr_Adrian70 Bobtail Member

Apr 5, 2018
    Even if your BAC was under the legal limit of .08 CDL holders are held to a higher standard. Regardless of you being in a CMV or your personal vehicle the legal limit is .04. So if you have even just one standard beer and get behind the wheel you risk getting a DWI. Your driving career is now over for several years to come. Not even Swift will hire you until your conviction is at least 3 years old.

bzinger Thanks this.
  9. tucker

tucker Road Train Member

Jun 13, 2008
    IN
    Actually it’s .04 in a commercial vehicle and .08 in a personal vehicle.

10. Mr_Adrian70

Mr_Adrian70 Bobtail Member

Apr 5, 2018
    After researching a bit I see that your correct. I stand corrected. I always thought we were held to a higher standard that normal drivers regardless of what we were driving.

x1Heavy and tucker Thank this.
  11. snowwy

snowwy Road Train Member

Jul 6, 2009
    The cop tried to tell me that also.

.04 no matter personal or commercial.

That's not the case.

Come January 1, however. It's. 05 for my home state.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.