DUI question

Discussion in 'Trucker Legal Advice' started by missingtheroad, Dec 13, 2016.

1. missingtheroad

missingtheroad Bobtail Member

Dec 13, 2016
    san diego
    I was a OTR company truck driver from 2003 to 2013 I got a DUI in 2013 conviction date 2014. A lot companies will not hire me because of insurance reasons. I am thinking going the o/o route, I contacted a big nation wide insurance company they said they would put me on. Other than the insurance company whos to know I have a DUI? freight broker? shipper/receiver? Is there something I am missing? I want to start driving again, I have always dreamed of becoming a true 100% o/o is the way to go in terms of the DUI? please help

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. snowwy

snowwy Road Train Member

Jul 6, 2009
    Come back and ask again in 2023. You don't have a chance untill then. But if you get another DUI. You can forget it.

4. skulldrinker

skulldrinker Light Load Member

Apr 20, 2012
    No one would touch me for 5 years.....some companies want even more time. I had to do other stuff besides driving. Luckily I was able to stretch out my obama unemployment money to 99 weeks at the time. It was a long wait to get back behind the wheel. You'll never want to go through it again.

I found that small companies were good for getting back into it. I was picked up by a small local construction company and drove a dump truck to get my 2 years in. Most big places won't hire you without 2 years current driving experience. Doesn't matter that you drove for 20 years before the DUI. Catch 22...unhireable for 5 years and then won't hire you cause you don't have 2 years current driving.

Last edited: Dec 13, 2016
  5. Ridgeline

Ridgeline Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Michigan
    What?

YOU want to pay the additional $20k in insurance because you are considered a very high risk driver?

6. 6wheeler

6wheeler Road Train Member

Aug 30, 2009
    No one. Zero. 000

7. J.S.

J.S. Medium Load Member

Jun 27, 2015
    Texas
    . Owner OP but don't hurt someone for alcohol.

8. ExOTR

ExOTR Windshield Chipper Extraordinaire

Jan 23, 2013
    Fort Worth, Tx
    How high was the annual quote they offered you? I would assume they would gouge you for tractor and cargo insurance, so you may be able to squeak by if you're in a great freight lane.
    Would be riding a fine line though, if something went wrong you would have no job prospects and bad credit.

9. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    TransAm will probably hire you as a company driver; no DUI within 2 yrs.

born&raisedintheusa and ExOTR Thank this.
  10. spyder7723

spyder7723 Road Train Member

Mar 31, 2013
    sarasota, fl
    All the posts saying 5 or 10 years give me a giggle.. The either didn't actually read the op, or read it and felt the need to respond to something they haven't a clue about.

Op, brokers and customers won't ever know about this. Your insurance company will and that's gonna be a hindrance. A new mc # plus a recent dui makes for some pretty darn high premiums. So it's just gonna boil down to if you got the money or not.

6wheeler and not4hire Thank this.
  11. xsetra

xsetra Road Train Member

Aug 21, 2011
    Yep what spyder said. No one will know except the insurance company. You will have to get your own authority. That doesn't cost that much, not compared to your insurance.

Not sure how much business you can get with a fresh MC. You might want to do some research before jumping in that deep. OR just jump in and find out.
    Was the DUI in your personal vehicle or with a CMV. Just curious.
    Everyone has made a mistake or three in our lives.
    Good luck.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.