DUI with my CDL

Discussion in 'Trucker Legal Advice' started by GIANTS65, Sep 28, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GIANTS65

GIANTS65 Bobtail Member

Sep 28, 2013
    HI I got a DUI off duty I have not gone to court yet. I just started a new job and don't plan on telling my employer is there any way they will find out? What if I work 1099 will that make a difference? Thanks

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. born&raisedintheusa

born&raisedintheusa Road Train Member

Sep 20, 2012
    Dollars to donuts, your employer will find out. Chances are, you could very well end up being terminated and possibly have your CDL taken away. Your employer may not be able to keep you because the insurance company will probably tell the company to terminate you. Also, if the other drivers at your company find out, and they probably will, they will make your life a living hell if you do end up staying on.

God bless every American and their families! God bless the U.S.A.!

GIANTS65 Thanks this.
  4. landstar8891

landstar8891 Road Train Member

Feb 4, 2012
    NY NY
    I know many people that this happened too...In NY the DUI LAWS SUCK for people that drink..If you only have 1 beer and drive 2 miles to go home,you get a DUI.That simple here.ZERO TOLERENCE.
    That rant being said,i am not sure about your state..I do know this..

I have spoken and knew guys that got a DUI off duty..They still drive 18 wheeler.Some DO NOT and lost the CDL for a while.This leads to the majic question.

Why do some drivers get to WALK and stay working others get SCREWED...?????......scroll down....

MONEY MONEY MONEY AND LOTS OF MONEY...

GOOD LAWYER GOOD LAWYER AND GOOD LAWYER..

WHO YOU KNOW WHO YOU KNOW AND WHO YOU KNOW..

GOOD LUCK TO YOU..

GIANTS65 Thanks this.
  5. CondoCruiser

CondoCruiser The Legend

Apr 18, 2010
    Tennessee
    Not telling your employer goes right along with no regard for drinking and driving. Is it really hard to do things the right way when your livelihood comes from that CDL?

Your only hope is to get the DUI dismissed or get it reduced to a public drunkeness. I would hire the best lawyer available.

No you don't have to tell the employer until the conviction.

FMCSA rules:

A conviction of DUI in a non-CMV you lose your CDL privileges for 1 year. If you refused a BA that's an additional 1 year.

Failure to do so and you can be fined $2500. An employer that knowingly lets you drive can be fined up to $25,000.

Your CDL driving days are over for about 7 years if convicted unless you find some under the table driving job. Insurance companies set the standards who a company can hire. If you can't make rational decisions while drinking then maybe you need to quit.

GIANTS65, Joetro and Smellfunny Thank this.
  6. GIANTS65

GIANTS65 Bobtail Member

Sep 28, 2013
    What if they already did the background check like I said I still have my License etc.. How would they find out if i don't tell them does the DOT or State inform them. I got caught in NJ, Thanks again

7. CondoCruiser

CondoCruiser The Legend

Apr 18, 2010
    Tennessee
    You're not guilty until you have your day in court. That can be put off for a year or two sometimes. You can be quiet and drive until then. I'm not sure about your state law. Some states take your license on the spot. That case you would have to tell the employer immediately. If not make you some money to pay all the stuff in front of you. DUI's are very expensive.

8. landstar8891

Feb 4, 2012
    NY NY
    ..Thats what i did...

9. Saddletramp1200

Saddletramp1200 Road Train Member

Sep 4, 2011
    Houston Texas,USA
    Have a dear friend that got caught on a motorcycle. From what I know having a CDL makes us like airplane pilots or Doctors. You get caught your life is over as far as driving goes. He makes boats now, and is pretty wealthy. I had a chest infection and a Doctor gave me a script for codine with alcohol in it, take it after driving. Random Pee test. We sat at a terminal 4 days to get it straightened out. They could not fire me & take my truck because I owned the truck. I sued and reached a settlement for 3000.00 They terminated my lease. It was Their Doctor that gave me the script. In a nut shell, your done trucking.

GIANTS65 Thanks this.
  10. landstar8891

Feb 4, 2012
    NY NY
    In NY the DUI LAWS are a ####### joke.They are a mass money milking machine for the RICH...

In NY if you have 1 beer you are considered DUI...1 BEER:biggrin_2559:...NY has zero tolerance...But they let the inner city gangs bangers kill each other every night with illegal weapons,SELL DRUGS and do nothing.....Go figure...

11. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Definitely hire a lawyer.
    I've read that companies that pay on 1099 have more leeway, but don't know that for a fact. Everything hinges on you keeping that CDL.

Was out night clubbing one evening and headed home in my car on the interstate. Friday night & off for the weekend. As soon as I got on exit ramp the blue lights came on behind. Figured my driving career was over. Turned right to a Waffle House parking lot, instead of left to my condo. The officer said he pulled me over for driving too slow on the interstate. Told him I just live a couple blocks away; he said lock your car, take your keys and walk home. If this car moves before my shift ends, I'm coming after you. I never put myself in that situation again. I quit drinking any alcohol after that; not worth the risks involved or losing a good job. I'm not preaching to anyone; that is just my own personal situation and how I handled it.

Last edited: Sep 28, 2013
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

• Thread Status:
    Not open for further replies.