Dumb question about a 13 speed trans

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by Trekker1, Oct 31, 2009.

1. Ridgerunner665

Ridgerunner665 Road Train Member

Apr 27, 2009
    Calm down and get some rest...you'll do fine.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Trekker1

Trekker1 Light Load Member

Aug 16, 2009
    Castle Rock, CO
    Thanks Ridgerunner, I think I will do just that. My test is Monday, I guess anticipation of something I've wanted to do for a very long time has me gotten the best of me. Hope to see you all out there someday!

4. Ridgerunner665

Ridgerunner665 Road Train Member

Apr 27, 2009
  5. Jack Smithton

Jack Smithton Light Load Member

Jan 1, 2009
    so cal
    Sorry to complicate things - They used to tell us, when splitting gears, to upshift (move shifter) into the next gearshift position while staying in high range, then use splitter to bring it down to low range for the next desired gear. Because the tranny was trying to downshift if you "preselected" low range before shifting into next position . . . This just meant "don't preselect" after the first four gears . . . Maybe this is obsolete now . . . Sorry if confusing . . .

Trekker1 Thanks this.
  6. Jim Bob

Jim Bob Light Load Member

Aug 2, 2009
    Portland, Or
    All a 13 speed is, is a 4 speed H pattern with a low-low that you don't use that often. Flip the range switch after you are in the 4th position and you do the H pattern over again, but you can now split each gear in the H pattern in high range.

Oh and if its a really old 13 speed gearbox it might be be an O pattern. Look out for that. Personally, I prefer the O pattern, I swapped one in, in one of my rigs just for that.

Trekker1 Thanks this.
  7. Working Class Patriot

Working Class Patriot Road Train Member

Jan 17, 2008
    Wherever and Whenever...
    Actually in High range you can instead of going back down into 5th gear on the low side.....go into the "hole" which is 5th with a split....

8. Big Don

Big Don "Old Fart"

Sep 8, 2007
    Utah's DIXIE!
    Of course you are nervous about the test. But don't over think it, and don't "psyche yourself out" over it. Everyone of us has had to take our first road test as a newbie. We made it, and so will you. Your tester will know you are a rookie, and will take that into consideration.

You probably are not gonna get a lot of sleep tonight, but don't sit around stewing and fretting about the test tomorrow. Get yourself a good book to get lost in, or watch TV, or go to a movie...

Anything to keep your mind off tomorrow.

Now, when that does not work, try this. Picture yourself behind the wheel, making the test run and doing stuff pretty much right. In other words, picture yourself getting through the test and getting hired.

Good luck, and let us know what happens!

9. Trekker1

Aug 16, 2009
    Castle Rock, CO
    Thanks. I went back down to the school today and they actually let me take the truck out by myself! The guy said "well, you got your license don't you?" I got to follow the instructor and a new student in another truck and then he let me loose in an industrial area and said "have fun, don't hit anything". I did pretty well, plus since it was sunday morning there was no traffic around- pretty relaxing too. I also got to practice alley docks for an hour so I feel pretty good about tomorrow. I will update and let everyone know how it went!

Working Class Patriot and Big Don Thank this.
  10. Trekker1

Aug 16, 2009
    Castle Rock, CO
    Your point you brought up is exactly why I asked. I don't want to grenade the transmission because of this! From the youtube videos on the previous page, it looks like when he "preselected" the range the guy did it so fast it didn't have time to downshift before moving the shifter to the next higher physical position. Hopefully I'm not over-analyzing this still!

11. GasHauler

GasHauler Master FMCSA Interpreter

Oct 23, 2005
    Vegas/Jersey
    Yeah don't go showing off with the hidden gear because if you miss it you miight have bigger problems. But's there's one there, in the 13 and 18

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.