Dummy Dual Exhaust

Discussion in 'Kenworth Forum' started by vettvet, Jan 19, 2015.

1. vettvet

vettvet Bobtail Member

Jan 19, 2015
    Our company just received 2- 2015 W900L Tractors. Both have Cummins 600 HP Motors. We also own a 2005 W900L that has a CAT C-15 550 HP. All 3 of them are awesome!
    When they were delivered, it was raining/sleeting here in the NE and when they pulled them into the building, we noticed one stack was dull and the other was shiny? For the life of us we could not figure this out. This never happened to the '05.
    It wasn't until we ran the engine and measured the exhaust temperature at both stacks did we realize the driver side stack was window dressing. WTW! Now, I am no engineer and could not tell you why this is okay but, a W900L, 600 HP, 18 Speed, 2 colors, Black and Chrome with a FAKE STACK!

Does anybody know why? BTW, you would never know these were not true dual stacks as they are piped and "Y"ed from the treatment system and the engine just, in the middle of the "Y" there is a block welded in
    Thanks

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Ezrider_48501

Ezrider_48501 Road Train Member

Apr 2, 2011
    bismarck, nd
    i don't know that its necessarily a dummy stack. i drove a def pete for a while and both stacks were plumbed in but the majority of the exhaust flowed threw the stack on the dpf side. just the way it was plumped exhaust did not flow to the drivers side stack very well. sometimes on cold days you would still see some exhaust flow out of the drivers side though. but yes the second stack doesn't really do much but look good.

4. Powder Joints

Powder Joints Subjective Prognosticator

Sep 25, 2007
    Rosamond, SoCal
    Maybe be a back pressure issue.Are you sure that it is not just a flow control plate, rather than a block off plate, would be more likely

5. vettvet

vettvet Bobtail Member

Jan 19, 2015
    No sir, it is a block off plate. We are in the electric construction business and have cameras we run through conduit to find blockages. We stuck a camera in the drivers side stack and pushed it right up to the plate. There is actually a drainage hole in front of the plate.
    We called our dealer and KW engineering confirmed, it is for aesthetics only.
    Very disappointing. First brand new tractors I ever owned

6. Ruthless

Ruthless Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2010
    The City.
    If you pulled it off and cut the plate out, would it hurt anything? Gotta get another chrome one anyway, so that it matches ;)

7. Powder Joints

Powder Joints Subjective Prognosticator

Sep 25, 2007
    Rosamond, SoCal
    Women have fake boob's so whats wrong with fake pipes. Both improve the scenery.

8. vettvet

vettvet Bobtail Member

Jan 19, 2015
    Well, you got me there!

9. sdaniel

sdaniel Road Train Member

Sep 7, 2011
    Pelham N.C.
    Have you seen the three stack trucks ? Both on the sides are dummies , and the one running up the back is the real one. Looks silly , would rather have a weed burner and the two dummies!

10. sdaniel

sdaniel Road Train Member

Sep 7, 2011
    Pelham N.C.
    Add that the real one WILL discolor quickly. Hide it under the truck.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.