Dump trailer's Square VS Half round

Discussion in 'Tanker, Bulk and Dump Trucking Forum' started by apyles, Mar 5, 2012.

1. apyles

apyles Medium Load Member

Oct 21, 2011
    Newbern,Tn
    What are the pros and cons of both types of trailers. The half rounds seem to have some advantages. I would like to know everyone else's opionion before,I commit to anything. My operation covers a littile of everything. The biggest part of the time I am pulling AG products, either grain or lime.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. apyles

apyles Medium Load Member

Oct 21, 2011
    Newbern,Tn
    Come on,,,,,,,,,, Nobody. Did I post this in the wrong forum?

4. Fatboy42

Fatboy42 Light Load Member

Feb 9, 2011
    Indiana
    I have pulled both in construction and ag. I like half round no corners for stuff to get stuck in. The one I pulled, had hoist on the outside so no hoist tower for things to get stuck on. I now have square because it was cheep and needed some work. It works well for my needs corn beens dirt etc. but some products stick around hoist tower and corners. Thinking of putting liner in nose. Hope that helps.

apyles Thanks this.
  5. Marc Letourneau

Marc Letourneau Light Load Member

Feb 23, 2012
    Worcester Massachusetts
    Based on the information you have given, Either trailer would be fine.. I agree as far as its better with the round tub so material doesn't get stuck in the kick plates.

6. SL3406

SL3406 Medium Load Member

Jan 10, 2011
    Oklahoma
    Biggest downside to a half round is you lose so much capacity compared to a square trailer. It might be hard to get a load on hauling light weight material unless it has tall sides.

7. LongBlackTrain

LongBlackTrain Bobtail Member

Nov 10, 2010
    Central Illinois
    I prefer the half round. Not only does it seem to empty out cleaner and faster but it also is lighter. If i have learned anything in the dump/hopper business it is all about weight. The lighter you are the more money you make. Your first question when considering equipment should be how much does it weigh. Best of luck to you.

8. Eaton18

Eaton18 Road Train Member

Sep 3, 2011
    Waverly, KS
    Sometimes it's a matter of personal choice. We have both, rectangular and barrel-bed (half-round). What I've found is that the barrel-beds we have can haul just as much material as the others. This is based on the same model/year tractors (Pete 387s). All of the trailers are spread-axles. The trailer I pull is an older, about year 2000, Travis, and has the dog-house (internal hoist). The barrel-beds are Maxi-Mizers, that have the external hoist cylinders.

As far as material getting stuck, there are more places in the rectangular ones for this. However any wet material will stick to the sides of the barrel-beds, or in the winter, freeze to them just the same as the others.

One other thing to consider is a bed liner. One of our O/Os, has a East trailer, that is rectangular, and he does have a bed liner. He swears by them. It's also a very sharp looking trailer.

Oh and I highly recommend, make sure you have a vibrator on it. Helps shake loose some stubborn material.

mycorky Thanks this.
  9. Powder Joints

Powder Joints Subjective Prognosticator

Sep 25, 2007
    Rosamond, SoCal
    First you need to decide what you want to haul, limeis compatible to dirt (cement,sand,gyp,lime) products not grain. Grain trailers are not the same as bulk product trailers. You can not easily switch between food and dirt from load to load. First you need to decide on what your going to haul.

10. Pedigreed Bulldog

Pedigreed Bulldog Road Train Member

May 7, 2011
    Switching from coal/lime/sand/dirt/rock/gyp/etc. to grain is as simple as sweeping out the bed....or in extreme cases, finding a hose and rinsing it out.

There is no difference at all between a "grain" trailer and a "bulk" trailer, other than possibly the presence of a grain door on the tailgate...but even that isn't always necessary. The ONLY product I've ever unloaded through a grain door was roofing granules at a shingle manufacturer...had to dump out onto a belt to be fed inside to the storage bin. All of the grain I've hauled has been dumped through a grate in the floor into a hopper, which feeds out onto a belt.

The one thing I will say about liners is that while they DO make loads slide out easier, it also increases the likelihood of load contamination, since product can and will get between the liner and the trailer floor as well as along the edges of the liner where it is secured. If you're hauling sensitive materials, you may not want the liner.

11. Eaton18

Eaton18 Road Train Member

Sep 3, 2011
    Waverly, KS
    Heck there's been a few hopper-bottoms hauling rock and sand to the site we've been hauling to. I don't think I recommend hauling rock in a hopper-bottom. It can really dent up the inside. Then when you're hauling grain, it doesn't want to slide out. The smoother, and shinier you keep the inside, the easier the material slides out. I've even waxed mine.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.