Dump trailer's Square VS Half round

Discussion in 'Tanker, Bulk and Dump Trucking Forum' started by apyles, Mar 5, 2012.

1. Bigfoot62

Bigfoot62 Light Load Member

Oct 29, 2011
    Louisiana
    Here, in Louisiana, log trucks and dump trucks (and there could be others, not sure) can just buy a 88,000# plate. The log trucks can do it with tandems, the dump trailers have to have a third axle. We can legally gross 88K on all state roads, EXCEPT the interstate. (go figure) On the super-slab, it's 83,400. :biggrin_25513:

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. RockinChair

RockinChair Road Train Member

Feb 19, 2012
    CC, TX
    Those of us who get paid percentage would love to haul more weight!

4. SL3406

SL3406 Medium Load Member

Jan 10, 2011
    Oklahoma
    If the haul rates would stay the same then maybe it would be worth it. Unfortunately over time being able to haul more just becomes an excuse to cut the rate a little to get a job. The next guy cuts it a little more, and you're right back where you started. Except now you're hauling a lot more and wearing out the equipment a lot faster. I've seen it happen over and over.

5. Blind Driver

Blind Driver Road Train Member

Aug 7, 2006
    New Albany, IN
    Why do the "half rounds" sit so tall?

6. MNoutkast

MNoutkast Medium Load Member

Feb 24, 2012
    Elk River, MN
    I think its just an optical illusion from the sides not coming down all the way.

7. GOV'T_Trucker

GOV'T_Trucker Heavy Load Member

May 28, 2011
    We use (tub dump) half-round aluminum tri-axle dump trailers.... I haul anything from broken glass (from recycling sorting plants to food organic waste and compost material..... We have the liners in them they work very well.. Sometimes the compost material can stick to it but never have not had a load come off tho.. No hoist box in the trailer, its separate.. This is a full frame dump

When I dump the food waste, the guy at the plant sprays water into the dump trailer while I am off-loading.. This helps it slide out quicker and keeps the inside of the trailer clean.. I like using the tub-dumps.. They do look taller then most dumps.. Our trailers sit about 12.5ft high.. We gross out around 117,000lbs (usually a 34-35ton load)..

We use to run rectangular trailers but they are pretty much gone.. They have the internal hoist and material got stuck on these.. They are also lined... They were heavy aluminum trailers with no air ride.. Our new ones have air ride and a steering lift axle..

8. Image

Image Light Load Member

Mar 15, 2012
    ND

How does he secure the pallet loads? Just call it good and let them slide around?

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.