Dunnage question

Discussion in 'Flatbed Trucking Forum' started by kelboy, May 18, 2012.

1. kelboy

kelboy Bobtail Member

May 16, 2012
    Medicine Hat, Alberta
    Just woundering if you have to nail or screw down the dunnage if you are hauling spools of cable, sheet metal, etc. or is just the weight of the item enough to keep them in place.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. MNdriver

MNdriver Road Train Member

Feb 24, 2012
    I did it both ways. Depends on the shipper.

I preferred to nail them down.

4. EagleEye509

EagleEye509 Light Load Member

Apr 7, 2012
    Spokane,WA
    Take out your little green book and check...

Sent from my DROIDX

5. Cochise

Cochise Light Load Member

Jun 8, 2011
    tow,texas
    You normally do not nail or screw dunnage to the trailer since the item weight holds it in place. Coil or spool dunnage is held within metal coil racks or bunks to prevent the coil from spreading the dunnage apart and allowing the coil to touch the trailer when the coils are transported with the eyes to the front or sides. Coils transported eye up toward the sky do not require racks or bunks containing the dunnage since item weight holds the dunnage in place. Do not confuse dunnage with blocks or braces which are normally nailed to the trailer floor. Dunnage keeps the cargo from touching the trailer floor while blocks and braces keep the item from sliding on the trailer floor if it is not loaded on dunnage (such as palletized goods or goods in sacks or hay bales). Hope I did not confuse you. Have a good look at a few flatbed loads next truck stop. Most flatbedders will take a little time to explain if asked.:biggrin_25521:

Rollr4872 and Mommas_money_maker Thank this.
  6. Mommas_money_maker

Mommas_money_maker Road Train Member

Oct 2, 2011
    North Carolina
    If I am hauling a couple of reels then I use my coil racks and no need to nail the dunnage down. If I am hauling a bunch of reels then I will nail them down as obviously not enough coil racks. Sheet metal coils get coil racks with dunnage and no need to nail them down.

SHC Thanks this.
  7. freedhardwoods

freedhardwoods Light Load Member

Feb 4, 2011
    SW IN
    What do you (and anyone else) do when you pick up 14 (or more) lay down steel coils of varying sizes from 2,000 to 10,000 lbs?

8. SHC

SHC Spoiled Rotten Brat O/O

Feb 26, 2011
    Westville, IN
    They should already be on a pallet or you will need to put down some 4x4's to keep them up off the deck, but every load of eye to the sky coils I have pulled have been skidded already.

Never have i ran 14 at one time tho, what the heck??? Even at 2,000# each that's got to be a pain to tarp

9. freedhardwoods

freedhardwoods Light Load Member

Feb 4, 2011
    SW IN
    Lay down coils, not eye to the sky.

If I know I'm going to be getting that many, I load up with racks and blocks before I leave with my outbound load. Occasionally, I have just racked the front and back and put the rest on the floor.

When I'm getting a mess like that, they are secondary, and I don't have to worry about damage.

If it isn't going to rain, we don't have to tarp. Even when we get our prime coils at the paint plants that have an "all loads must be tarped" policy, we don't tarp unless it's raining. The same man that owns the trucks is buying the coils, so they don't bother us.

10. Logan76

Logan76 Crusty In Training

Jul 12, 2009
    kittanning, PA
    I pulled a load of eye to sky skidded titanium coils from ATI louisville to Glen Burnie, MD and there was I believe 14 of them, they were staggered and still took up 46.5 feet of trailer.

11. Autocar

Autocar Road Train Member

Apr 28, 2012
    The Hot Rod Shop Oxford, AL
    Explain the term "lay down" coils.

SHC Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.