Dyno test cost??

Discussion in 'Heavy Duty Diesel Truck Mechanics Forum' started by jpgale22, Jul 20, 2018.

1. jpgale22

jpgale22 Light Load Member

Apr 12, 2016
    how much should I pay for a Dyno test?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. jpgale22

jpgale22 Light Load Member

Apr 12, 2016

4. Most Dyno test give you a print out. It will give some information. During stressfully pulls on the motor, tranny, axles and rear tires.

Unless you have a base line from way back you won't have anything to test against. But once you have this done its a baseline. Mine is a baseline from an Inframe and new head. So if it breaks it breaks during the Dyno run.
    I'm not into "just drive it like ya stole it". Don't idle
    Don't put Lucas oil additive in it.
    Just some basic stuff after an Inframe.

Good luck on your Dyno run.

5. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    The last one I rode on in KW Denver was 1500.00 We were forcing the engine full on work to cruise at 72, then applied resistance to drag it down to hands and knees all the way down to 1st gear. Temps went right up. Which was what we were looking for. But they did not resolve the root overheating issue until another heavy shop finally tore down enough to get at the actual physical scaled and rusted sensor inside the coolant pipe itself on the block. Essentially three separate breakdown type calls totaling around 7000 dollars to hunt up a 100 dollar sensor and wire.

I considered that particular problem with the FLD frustrating because it was killing appointment times and incuring enough expense as to make be get close to asking boss for a newer T2000 and be done with the breakdown mystery machine that was costing us all money. But a good shop found the root cause and fixed it.

Thats my one experience dealing with dynos in heavy trucking and having to handle the billing for it. After riding the thing wtih the seat belt on in the passenger seat (I had been in the berth for about half a day with curtains shut as the mechanics worked on that rig, dyno charges are extra on top of other charges for the day which approached 3000.)

By and large I have stopped taking anything to the dealer for more than one work job order. The last time we showed up with two things to fix, they took the book billed us 7 hours times 70 dollars for labor while the car only needed 2.4 hours of shop bay time physically to get both tasks completed. That drove the bill over 1200 nicely.

It will be a while before we are back.

black_dog106 Thanks this.
  6. DieselTech_Aus

DieselTech_Aus Light Load Member

Dec 20, 2017
    WA
    paid $370 for 1.5 hrs in West Aus on the dyno to find a intermittent misfire at the Cat dealer.

they were freaking out at the 610rwhp from a 575factory file and standard injectors

7. A5¢

A5¢ Medium Load Member

Oct 30, 2017
    DieselTeck_Aus. You weren't using a little Foster's fuel addative, we're ya?

8. DieselTech_Aus

DieselTech_Aus Light Load Member

Dec 20, 2017
    WA
    No, no fuel additive at all.

Just old school 3406E tip size injectors 3.07kg/minute which basically makes the a 10r8502 with standard 575 7CZ file, a 0000 BW non waste gate turbo and the 800hp marine cam.

No resistors or flash file edits.

9. Mando510

Mando510 Bobtail Member

Dec 11, 2020
    Hi my name Armando I'm looking to buy a 2012 volvo vnl 780 with 960k miles any advice is automatic transmission

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.