E.L.D.E.R. - Experienced Lowbed Drivers Essential Rules

Discussion in 'Heavy Haul Trucking Forum' started by truckdad, Mar 24, 2016.

1. noluck

noluck Road Train Member

Jun 10, 2011
    greenville,sc
    @truckdad is one hardcore mother humper! Chuck Norris calls him sir.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. truckdad

truckdad Road Train Member

Dec 14, 2014
    Penn Valley, CA
    Wrong @noluck. Just a worn out old Lowbed driver that likes to laugh.

4. Razororange

Razororange Road Train Member

Dec 20, 2011
    Milwaukee, WI
    This right here is the reason I don't touch anything without a pair of gloves on. Don't care how quick it will be I take the time to unlock to box and grab my gloves even if I'm just tightening a loose binder.

5. MJ1657

MJ1657 Road Train Member

Jan 28, 2012
    Isanti, MN
    I do the same.

6. JDP

JDP Medium Load Member

Sep 25, 2011
    Dubuque, IA
    Saw this on the way home from work today, I didn't see ANY securement on it, plus the bed tarp arm was partially deployed. I don't know if he thought "wedged between the neck and rear deck" was secure enough?

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 14, 2017
  7. snowman_w900

snowman_w900 Road Train Member

Nov 25, 2010
    Wowwwwwww. Thats scary!

Hows things in the Pape world?

8. JDP

JDP Medium Load Member

Sep 25, 2011
    Dubuque, IA
    It's going alright. We've had some success recruiting drivers lately, although we still have a few trucks mothballed out back. Our 3 axle trailers have only left the yard once in the last 6 months. I'm optimistic heading into spring. I'd like to add a few regional guys to haul steel within a 260 mile radius of Dubuque, but my RGNs are getting lot rot sitting without work.

FerrissWheel, Ruthless, Oxbow and 4 others Thank this.
  9. snowman_w900

snowman_w900 Road Train Member

Nov 25, 2010
    Well thats good to hear a little sucess on the drivers. Maybe 2017 will be a bounce back year and those RGN wagons will be up and going by summer.

I sent Chris a PM a while back, but i notice he hasnt been on lately. Hope hes doing ok and all is well at Pape!

10. passingthru69

passingthru69 Road Train Member

Jdp, yea the guy I'm leased to now has 4 brand new 2 axle rgn sitting. Plus a few 3 and 4 axle trls. Hopefully this year will be good for all. Tell big brother Hi from us.

11. chilibowl

chilibowl Light Load Member

Jun 28, 2013
    Houston Texas
    A thank you goes out to each person that gave some insight or added a rule on this thread. I've have 25 years of accident free driving. Been there done that. I'm tired! Our industry has degraded, the old school spirit lives on but just barely. I've been searching my heart, trying to figure out what I want to do for a living besides driving OTR longhaul. This morning as I was laying in bed plotting out my day, the Good Lord put upon my heart. "Hey? why don't you try hauling heavy equipment?". I've been watching you guy's for years and with much respect. But never once did it cross my mind to haul equipment.
    well I jumped outta bed and with one swoop started the laptop and poured a cup of joe.
    I feel like I did the first day I made up my mind to become a truck driver. And at 54 years of age that's a gosh darn good feeling. The guy that made the comment about how technology has changed the face of heavy haul was right. But I know that in any game there are special rules and ways to do things that don't get taught in school. It's called life experience and it's handed down from old school to rookie.
    I proudly write before you and proclaim. I AM ROOKIE! hear me whimper!!
    If anybody would like to friend me and help me along this new chosen path I would gladly accept.
    so here I go.. March 23rd 2017 let's geterdone

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.