E.L.D.E.R. - Experienced Lowbed Drivers Essential Rules

Discussion in 'Heavy Haul Trucking Forum' started by truckdad, Mar 24, 2016.

1. fisher guy

fisher guy Road Train Member

Mar 22, 2009
    Ocala Florida
    Yes not good at all luckily for me fuel guys 10 miles down the road image.jpg

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Ohboy83

Ohboy83 Bobtail Member

Apr 3, 2016
    Shelton
    I like hearing other guys stories, I'm a new driver and I'm always nervous I'm going mess something up but the old timers keep telling me not to worry and #### happens all the time.

FerrissWheel and chilibowl Thank this.
  4. mxbrian87

mxbrian87 Bobtail Member

Jun 21, 2012
    Miami, FL
    Check the fuel level of the machine you are about to load. Running out of fuel in this position is not good.
    View attachment 134077 [/QUOTE]

And then rock paper scissors to figure out who on the site is going to go get a few gallons of diesel. Or having a few gallons extra on the truck in a can. We were moving this crane and they had the tank bone dry, died right before the trailer... took a while to get it primed and re-started. Not doing a quick 20 second fuel check cost us 2 hours of time.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 24, 2016
    Reason for edit: liked my new wording better
    FerrissWheel and fisher guy Thank this.
  5. fisher guy

fisher guy Road Train Member

Mar 22, 2009
    Ocala Florida
    And then rock paper scissors to figure out who on the site is going to go get a few gallons of diesel. Or having a few gallons extra on the truck in a can. We were moving this crane and they had the tank bone dry, died right before the trailer... took a while to get it primed and re-started. Not doing a quick 20 second fuel check cost us 2 hours of time.[/QUOTE]
    now thats empty when your on lever ground in front of the trailer ####

FerrissWheel Thanks this.
  6. allis327

allis327 Light Load Member

Aug 26, 2011
    Melrose mn
    If you can call the person using or renting the equipment do so. I got burned on this today. I listened to a phone conservation where one of the owners was going to call ahead and make sure the tractor backhoe was ready to go and would call back with any issues. He never called and in a couple of hours I left to pick it up. A nice muddy driveway and had to turn around in the grass so I was pointed out when loaded. Turns out the battery is missing and key is broke off in the ignition.
    Make some calls nobody answers, start walking around this old farm site looking for a battery. I found a dump trailer with a deep cycle battery that would work but it was dead so I had to unhook and jump it and use a screwdriver to turn the ignition. After I got hooked up and loaded and was putting the battery in the trailer I get a call. Battery was shot and he had intentions of getting a new one but never got around to it. He never got a call I was coming and he was 30 miles away or he would have helped but he was sorry.
    My fault I should have called.

7. SnowMan24

SnowMan24 Bobtail Member

Apr 27, 2008
    Alexandria, Minnesota
    Digging up an old thread but have a good one to share. Always use a broom to sweep gravel off of the trailer deck, that one time you use your hand to brush off a little bit of gravel off of the ramps, that steel sliver will find the whole in your gloves.
    2016-11-10 10.39.55.jpg

8. noluck

noluck Road Train Member

Jun 10, 2011
    greenville,sc
    Ouch! I have gotten plenty of splinters, but that looks worse!

9. Oxbow

Oxbow Road Train Member

Nov 24, 2015
    Idaho
    I have done this exact thing brushing dirt off of the ramps, albeit with less serious consequences. Even heavy leather gloves don't slow down a metal shaving very much.

10. truckdad

truckdad Road Train Member

Dec 14, 2014
    Penn Valley, CA
    A real lowbed driver would have just chewed the end of the finger off and pulled the sliver out with his teeth. Then eat the sliver. lol

11. MJ1657

MJ1657 Road Train Member

Jan 28, 2012
    Isanti, MN
    redvonbaron, hwrdbd, cke and 6 others Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.