E-log causing more stress?

Discussion in 'Trucking Industry Regulations' started by Wim, Jul 24, 2018.

1. Wim

Wim Bobtail Member

Jul 24, 2018
    Perhaps I wasn't clear in my post.

No forced dispatch, appointments can always be rescheduled, no pressure at the company I drive for. I'm not complaining that I can't make any money, no reason for that. This is the company I started with 14 years ago after I came to Canada and I'll probably retire here...

Fact is that there's more (smaller) accidents the last year. People suggested that it might be because of ELD. Our safety-man doesn't really believe that, there is no reason for it. I think lots of drivers are more stressed because of ELD.

I didn't miss any load or didn't make less money but I do realize that I put more pressure on myself because I want to be somewhere or I want something to get done. There's lots of situations tocomet up with that never ever were a problem and now so many things can go wrong to make you reschedule an appointment or change your plans. "No flexibility" someone wrote, the right words...

Extra stress because of E-log. More accidents due to more stress. It makes sense to me...

singlescrewshaker and 25(2)+2 Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Oldironfan

Oldironfan Road Train Member

May 22, 2017
    Nope my life is perfect now. Thank you Elogs. How did trucking ever get by before Elogs, and with out computers I will never know.

singlescrewshaker, 25(2)+2 and Wim Thank this.
  4. Zeviander

Zeviander Road Train Member

Jan 23, 2015
    Winnipeg, MB, CA
    It comes down to the company forcing drivers to drive tired because they "have hours available" causing more stress. The driver is still the captain of the ship in the end.

5. 25(2)+2

25(2)+2 Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Sep 18, 2006
    the road less travelled
    Yesterday, it was most of the above, and ended up parked for 8 hours in the afternoon parked at a wayside only open in the summer, because I was out of time. Should have stopped at Barneveld, WI, but I thought I could make it farther. It's not about not getting enough time in the sleeper, it's about not sitting for insane amounts of time because some liar working for the FMCSA decided you couldn't get too much rest.

People die in bed, too.

6. 06driver

06driver Road Train Member

May 28, 2017
    Still confused on how ELDs supposedly cause stress.

All they do is record duty status/location. Nothing more, nothing less. They have zero to do with what time you drive, what time your appointment is,, where your load is at, your ability to plan a route..........

peterd, MBAngel, Wim and 1 other person Thank this.
  7. bryan21384

bryan21384 Road Train Member

Sep 18, 2009
    Memphis, TN
    I'm in agreement with you. I see no real difference between logging on paper or logging electronically outside of being able to fudge. I didn't do anything differently when the mandate hit. I think drivers amp themselves up too much about the clock instead of just worrying about the job at hand

Tb0n3 and Wim Thank this.
  8. skellr

skellr Road Train Member

Jul 17, 2011
    The Village, Portmeirion
    What about going someplace to get loaded and they bungle it up. it takes 5 hours or so to load and now you can't make the delivery appointment. Well, good thing for paper logs, I can just sleep 2 hrs and fuge the rest of my 10 and bend over for the same pay.

Why should it become my problem when that happens? Time to make someone else pay for it.

Tb0n3, bryan21384, magoo68 and 2 others Thank this.
  9. 25(2)+2

25(2)+2 Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Sep 18, 2006
    the road less travelled
    You've never gotten in your truck after time off with 168 plus the current day on duty? Who knows why that happens? I know mine will wake me up, when it chimes if the forklift rocks the tractor too much, waking it up, engine off. If I leave it running, so far that hasn't happened.

It's the ELD itself causing the issues, it saves me no time, not fumble fingering that touchscreen 15 or twenty times a day to confirm I'm still the driver.

You guys on legacy systems, just wait, you'll probably get yours someday soon, too.

Wim Thanks this.
  10. ZVar

ZVar Road Train Member

Sep 10, 2010
    Flint, MI
    Got any data to back that up?

While it may be true, I seriously doubt it. More than likely you are simply reinforcing your prejudice. You see a minor wreck, you automatically blame the ELD and file it away in your mind. In the years past you would have simply forgotten about it. Or at worst blamed it on these new breed of drivers....

MBAngel and Wim Thank this.
  11. Wim

Wim Bobtail Member

Jul 24, 2018
    No, it was the safety-man that came up with this info. There's been more accidents with the chance insurance premiums might go up. It could be just a one year coincidence, just wondering if E-log might have something to do with it...

25(2)+2 Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.