E-log causing more stress?

Discussion in 'Trucking Industry Regulations' started by Wim, Jul 24, 2018.

1. Pedigreed Bulldog

Pedigreed Bulldog Road Train Member

May 7, 2011
    Not necessarily. It pisses me off every time I realize I've been sitting somewhere getting loaded/unloaded or checking in at a shipper/receiver...or even hop out to run into the store for a few minutes...and I forgot to switch myself to line 4 (if I'm working) or line 1 (if the stop is personal in nature). The fact that you cannot go back and edit the log to accurately reflect how you spent your time means that ELD has falsely recorded your HOS...in other words, it is a falsified log.

And yes, I have receipts showing off-duty purchases at Auto Zone and NAPA for my POV...timed and dated when the ELD has me driving. Last I checked, there is no drive-thru at either store...but there is no way to fix the log. So, it's falsified. Not that big of a deal on days like today (actully only had about an hour's worth of driving...ELD shows more, though). If it were a longer day where I'd have had 10.5 hours on line 3 if it were accurately reported, though, that falsified time on the drive line would wrongly show me exceeding the 11th hour. I've had that happen before, too...hit the 11th when I was at the post office checking my mail on the way into town...8 miles from home. I drove home.

Last edited: Jul 25, 2018
    bryan21384, singlescrewshaker and Wim Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. 28

28 Medium Load Member

Sep 17, 2015
    Parking now takes priority over
    delivery times with E-logs
    Ive been noticing .

Causes trouble on occasion
    with old school broker and their
    loads

25(2)+2 and Wim Thank this.
  4. ZVar

ZVar Road Train Member

Sep 10, 2010
    Flint, MI

So what you are saying is a crappy ELD is stressing you out. I suggest a good one. There is nothing in the ELD regs that states you cannot edit your ELD to accurately reflect the correct time. Heck, every ELD I've ever used lets the driver correct on/off/sb times. Office can correct driving by assigning it to the correct person like shop, or yard move.

MBAngel, Bank_Lbr and Wim Thank this.
  5. #wishfulthinking

#wishfulthinking Light Load Member

Jun 9, 2018
    Central Iowa
    I'm a little wet behind the ears still as I've only been out here since the late 80's, but I can tell you this much, I am much less stressed with the E logs than I was with paper logs. I learned quickly after making the transition from paper to E logs to make the best use of my time. Now that I've done that, I find E logs to be much better than the old paper log way of going things. The only thing I'm not a fan of is the 30 minute break requirement. If they could find a better way to deal with that, I'd have no complaints. I'm making decent money, getting decent miles & home time and I don't have to worry about "getting my log up to date" or "How am I going to log that?" or worry about some pencil pushing dispatcher trying to make me run 28 hours non stop because he knows you can "fudge" your log.

6. Pedigreed Bulldog

Pedigreed Bulldog Road Train Member

May 7, 2011
    NO legal ELD will allow you or anyone else to allocate "drive" time as anything other than drive time. THAT is the problem. I stop, jump out to check in, or run into the store, or talk to someone for a few minutes, and while that time SHOULD (per the regulations) be logged on either line 1 or 4 (depending upon if it's "work" related or "personal" in nature), the ELD has me on line 3. THAT CANNOT BE EDITED, not by the driver or admin, to anything other than line 3. It has nothing to do with it being "crappy" or one of the high-dollar rip-offs that you seem to prefer...the regulations DO NOT ALLOW line 3 time to be edited. If the ELD allows it, then it is NOT compliant.

And yes, I can edit lines 1, 2, and 4 as much or as often as I want or need to do so...which isn't the problem. You cannot reassign line 3 time to any other line...which IS the problem. You cannot fix the false entries that the ELD has recorded on line 3...which makes the log it has created false.

singlescrewshaker and Wim Thank this.
  7. Wim

Wim Bobtail Member

Jul 24, 2018
    After 3 minutes not driving my ELD automatically changes to on duty status, line 4. So I don't seem to have your problem...

MBAngel, 74Chris and tucker Thank this.
  8. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    No.

They are stressed in other ways. In a hurry SMASH! Accident.

Either get your dispatchers to back off them or get your drivers earning more so they don't have to rush the workweek.

Remember Elogs did not change anything. HOS did not change. What did change is the ability to stack violations onto violations and prevent Personal Conveyance and a host of other new problems.

Virtually all of my life time accidents in trucking is a result of being pushed to do something in a very short time frame. Once that in a hurry settles onto my mind I know I am fixing to have a pretty good accident.

MBAngel, bryan21384 and Wim Thank this.
  9. Wim

Wim Bobtail Member

Jul 24, 2018
    I agree, nothing changed, there's no need to be stressed. But do your fellow drivers know that too??

A lot of drivers I talk to aren't happy with E-log. Will they ecprriexex extra stress too?

10. skellr

skellr Road Train Member

Jul 17, 2011
    The Village, Portmeirion
    You're not a driver are you?

olddog_newtricks Thanks this.
  11. tucker

tucker Road Train Member

Jun 13, 2008
    IN
    If I can master elogs then you have to ask why you can’t.
    Am I that superior to all of you?

That’s a bad example because of course I am.

MBAngel and bryan21384 Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.