E-logs and Reality

Discussion in 'Trucking Industry Regulations' started by Red Hot Mess, Dec 30, 2011.

1. shredfit1

shredfit1 Road Train Member

Nov 24, 2008
    MN
    But if your paid by %, your not getting anything for empty miles... hence, not working. And if I'm not being paid... why not be at home?

For what it's worth, I personally sleep better, and get MUCH more rest at home, NOT in the truck.... Therefore, I'm pro-active in mitigating myself from being overly fatigued behind the wheel of a 29,000lb vehicle.

It's win win for EVERYONE! :biggrin_25525:

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. RickG

RickG Road Train Member

Jul 22, 2008
    Owensboro , KY
    If you are logged off duty and going to a restaurant or fuel stop you may not be getting paid .
    That is a point for argument with our drivers though . We work out of 2 terminals 120 miles apart . If a driver based at one terminal pulls a load from another terminal he is paid for the bobtail miles between terminals . Since he is being paid the miles should he be able to log PC returning home bobtail ? They do it all the time . Is 120 miles too far for PC ? Corporate safety said PC couldn't be over 100 miles . We challenged them to produce the regulation or company rule stating that . We got no response . Our boss told us just run 30 miles down the road bobtailing on duty then go off duty and bobtail 30 miles PC .

4. Meltom

Meltom Road Train Member

Jan 24, 2011
    I'd challenge you to produce a REGULATION that allows PC. Not an interpretation, an actual regulation.

5. shredfit1

Nov 24, 2008
    MN
    I'd challenge you to produce a REGULATION that doesn't allow PC. Not an interpretation, an actual regulation.

RickG Thanks this.
  6. Meltom

Meltom Road Train Member

Jan 24, 2011
    § 395.2Definitions. Driving time means all time spent at the driving controls of a commercial motor vehicle in operation.

7. STexan

STexan Road Train Member

Oct 3, 2011
    Longview, TX
    They won't Meltom, because they can't. They continue to say that's it's 'fine and legal" to do this or to do that in a given situation, then when you ask for where this is spelled out in a way that is not open to interpretation, they fall silent. Most seem to err on the side that "fit's their interests/needs short-term" I prefer to err on the side of caution that will work long-term, past the point where the rule-makers finally fix the voids in the language and specification.

And many talk about a "Line 5" . Where the hell is "Line 5" even mentioned in the FMCSA guidebook? I get the fact that drivers, in certain situations are allowed to use (drive) a truck (company or otherwise) for personal conveyance, but if you're off duty, you're off duty, so why utilize a "Line 5"? And where does any carrier get the authority to add a line 5 to an EOBR system and what are it's hard and fast rules and requirements for use? If it's spelled out somewhere, please share with us.

scottied67 Thanks this.
  8. RickG

RickG Road Train Member

Jul 22, 2008
    Owensboro , KY
    Try the definition of Off Duty . When you are relieved of duty you are not under regulation . I was surprised when reading one list of guidance questions to learn drivers are allowed to stop and buy alcohol on the way to a hotel room . They are off duty and the regulation prohibiting alcohol in a CMV doesn't apply . Yes , company rules could still be enforced .

9. shredfit1

Nov 24, 2008
    MN
    What does "in operation' mean? Loaded and working(laden)? Movement? none movement?

If I'm at the controls and not moving, am I driving?

Your 'rules' may not be a clearly defined as you think

10. RickG

RickG Road Train Member

Jul 22, 2008
    Owensboro , KY
    Does your company have e-logs ? Our carrier does and there is an option for personal conveyance while off duty . Miles driven under personal conveyance don't show up as daily miles on the log.

11. Meltom

Meltom Road Train Member

Jan 24, 2011
    Yep we have eLogs and Off Duty (PC) I'm just bored.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.