E-logs and Reality

Discussion in 'Trucking Industry Regulations' started by Red Hot Mess, Dec 30, 2011.

1. MSheets

MSheets Light Load Member

Sep 2, 2011
    Granite Falls,NC
    We had a driver shut down and fined for doing that. Right after it happened they sent a fleet wide message out telling everyone. You can not be doing any company work on PC. Using it to go to the house is not an option.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Meltom

Meltom Road Train Member

Jan 24, 2011
    FYI, not my rules.

4. RickG

RickG Road Train Member

Jul 22, 2008
    Owensboro , KY
    We had a driver fined for doing it and he appealed and won . Just what is the PC option on e-logs for in your opinion ?

5. Cowpie1

Cowpie1 Road Train Member

Nov 25, 2008
    Kellogg, IA
    395.8 and FMCSA interpretation question 26. Their interpretation is the standard for enforcement.

6. Cowpie1

Nov 25, 2008
    Kellogg, IA
    There is no "Line 5", it is that there are 5 options on most elogs. Off Duty, Sleeper, Driving, On duty, and Off Duty Driving. This 5th option is commonly referred to "line 5". it actually is just line 1, but the movement of the vehicle is not being shown as driving time. It is just a way of keeping the automatic trigger to driving time from happening. On the graphical display, the driving time under this 5th option will only show continued time on "line 1".

scottied67 Thanks this.
  7. Cowpie1

Nov 25, 2008
    Kellogg, IA
    If they own the truck, they have a right to dictate those rules. If it is an O/O truck, then that owner just needs to remind them of what happened to FedEx when the IRS wanted to make all the O/O actual employees because one of the conditions of whether a O/O is a contractor is that they must have exclusive use of the equipment when not in actual work for the carrier. This is the same criteria as if a construction contractor has exclusive use of his equipment when not doing work for the builder. If the construction worker cannot use his own tools outside of the builder work area, then they are not contractors, but actual employees. If a O/O cannot use his own equipment for legal PC use, then they are not a contractor, but an employee.

I have a little leverage in that with my carrier, because of my son being an IRS field agent. My carrier had a quick change of heart when they wanted to limit PC use after I told them I would give my son a call and see how he would like to handle it.

scottied67 and RickG Thank this.
  8. wsyrob

wsyrob Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Sep 14, 2007
    Winston Salem
    This is true. On the Qualcom system It shows line 1 but it also segments line 1 breaking it down to ODD and OD. They want you to enter a comment for each segment and each segment shows movement.

9. kubotaorange76

kubotaorange76 Light Load Member

Apr 9, 2010
    Monticello, Ga
    once elogs are mandated i wonder how many times we are going to pass a truck doing <5mph down the highway on a friday.....flying under the radar. to get home...hahahaha

10. Meltom

Meltom Road Train Member

Jan 24, 2011
    that would be retarded, having an hours of service violation isn't the end of the world.

11. RickG

RickG Road Train Member

Jul 22, 2008
    Owensboro , KY
    Some safety departments make you think it is .

shredfit1 Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.