E logs How has it worked out

Discussion in 'Heartland' started by Solitary Confinement, Mar 27, 2012.

1. Solitary Confinement

Solitary Confinement Bobtail Member

Mar 26, 2012
    I understand e-logs are fairy new with Heartland and curious as to how it has affected the drivers there .... Good or Bad

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Truthin

Truthin Light Load Member

Jan 18, 2012
    Columbus, OH
    had them a little over a year. pretty easy to use, makes things easier.

there are differences in managing your time. when you run out of 11 hours you are out of hours - period. you can still keep driving, but in violation obviously. where you have to be careful is if you are being unloaded and customer does not let you park there and you are running out of 14. you can get stuck in that situation, but it can be avoided too.

good thing is that you don't have to log in 15 minute minimum increments, you can log in 1 minute increments, those can add up. also, is hooked up to the engine computer, so it will notify the shop ahead of time if there is an engine diagnostic code that needs attention while out on the road, possibly avoid a breakdown.

Overall I like them.

4. Solitary Confinement

Mar 26, 2012
    I have never used them , but will be soon. Thanks Truthin..... I am fixin to be in orientation with heartland soon and just gathering info.
    I am sure there are many tricks known out there that can be used on the electronic logs to keep you in the driver seat and not burn up your 11 and 14..... I would like to know how elogs would do say if .....
    I log in at 7am -drive line at 7:15 drive till 11:15 (4 hrs) then sit at shipper for 6 hrs... that would only 4 hours on my 14 clock.... 7 hrs on 11 clock, leaving only 3 to 4 hrs before shut down.
    Do you run out the clock? or log time at shipper as off duty / sleeper , rest 2 hours( 6 + 2 making 8hrs) and finish the ballance of your hrs you had at at 11:15. That giving you 7 hrs left on 11, and around 9.5 on your 14...
    Ill stop here before I confuse myself....

5. Solitary Confinement

Mar 26, 2012
    I am basically looking for the options I have for running legal within the company policy...... and having the e log not cheat me out of hours.... or get into issues with saftey department.....

6. ChromeDome

ChromeDome Road Train Member

Jun 10, 2007
    Lakeland, FL
    If the shipper allows parking you can do 8 sleeper. But you have to know in advance you will be sitting. Since it is rare that I sit at a shipper or receiver waiting for load more than a couple hours. I always just log off duty.
    Cannot change it to sleeper later. Has to be 8 solid in the bunk.

We have allot of drop and hook freight. Especially at shippers. We do some retail delivery, depending on the region. To various stores. Most of these are fairly quick. Kmart being the exception to the rule.
    I do maybe 1 grocery load a month. Those are the big sitting places. The shipper will be drop and hook on almost all of those. The receiver will take time.

No way to cheat hours with the e-log we use. If you move 1 mile, you are on drive line.
    Most delivery's and pickups have a window. Due to being drop and hook. One of the hard things to learn is how to max out usable hours by planning to use the windows to your advantage. 2-3 loads in advanced as much as possible.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.